Rotation and Boost of Tensor Components: Meaning?

In summary, it may not be as intuitive to speak of general tensor components being rotated or boosted as it is for vectors, as tensors of higher rank do not have a single direction. However, it is still possible to make Lorentz invariant transformations on tensors in the same manner as for vectors.
kent davidge
If two coordinate systems are related by a rotation or a boost, does it make sense to say the tensors components are rotated or boosted with respect to their components in the original coordinates? For vectors, I think it is standard to say that, but what about general tensors?

Physics news on Phys.org
A tensor could be also a vector.One call it a one tensor.A rotation is only a mathematical construction.Of course, a boost is also a rotation but with a physical meaning involved .Here you make a rotation in a Lorentz invariant manner.So the (relativistic)physics holds under this specific transformation.In this case you rotate you Frame Of Reference by an angle theta .

Likes kent davidge
troglodyte said:
A tensor could be also a vector
I know that
troglodyte said:
One call it a one tensor.A rotation is only a mathematical construction.Of course, a boost is also a rotation but with a physical meaning involved .Here you make a rotation in a Lorentz invariant manner.So the (relativistic)physics holds under this specific transformation.In this case you rotate you Frame Of Reference by an angle theta .
I also know that

Your didn't answer my question at all.

kent davidge said:
For vectors, I think it is standard to say that

I'm not sure it is. It's standard to say that vectors are rotated or boosted, but I'm not sure it's standard to say that vector components are.

kent davidge said:
what about general tensors?

Tensors of higher rank than 1 do not have a single "direction", so speaking of them as rotated or boosted by a coordinate transformation would not seem to make as much intuitive sense as the corresponding statement for a vector, which does have a single direction.

Likes troglodyte and kent davidge
kent davidge said:
Your didn't answer my question at all.
Sorry,than i have misinterpreted your question a bit.

Likes kent davidge

1. What is the difference between rotation and boost of tensor components?

Rotation and boost are two different types of transformations that can be applied to tensor components. Rotation involves changing the orientation of the tensor, while boost involves changing its magnitude or scale.

2. How do rotation and boost affect the meaning of tensor components?

Rotation and boost can change the physical interpretation of tensor components. For example, a tensor that represents the stress on a material may have different values after a rotation or boost transformation, which can impact its meaning in terms of the material's response to external forces.

3. Can rotation and boost be applied to all types of tensors?

Yes, rotation and boost can be applied to all types of tensors, including scalars, vectors, and higher-order tensors. However, the specific mathematical operations and resulting changes in meaning may vary depending on the type of tensor.

4. What are some real-world applications of rotation and boost of tensor components?

Rotation and boost of tensor components have many practical applications in physics and engineering. For example, they are used in mechanics to study the behavior of materials under different types of transformations, and in relativity to understand the effects of rotation and boost on spacetime.

5. How are rotation and boost related to the concept of symmetry in tensors?

Rotation and boost are both types of symmetry transformations that can be applied to tensors. These transformations leave the underlying physical laws unchanged, but can change the values and meaning of tensor components. Understanding the symmetries of a tensor is important in many areas of physics and engineering.