Rotation Velocity on a boomerang

In summary, The question is asking how to calculate the rotation velocity of a boomerang assuming a period of 0.5 seconds. This can be calculated using the linear velocity of the boomerang and the assumption that the end of the blade held in the hand is stationary at launch. The point around which the boomerang rotates is called the tangential velocity and can be found by multiplying the rotation rate (in rad/s) by the radius (in meters).
RicardoMarques

Homework Statement

How do I calculate the rotation velocity of a boomerang assuming that the period is like 0.5 seconds ? Considering a boomerang made of 3 rectangles, with an angle
of 120 degrees between two of those rectangles... According to internet..we must consider a velocity of throwing and a velocity of rotation and I don't know how to calculate this second one..

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of calculating angular velocity and then use V = w.R where R radius but I get values a little bit too high
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
RicardoMarques said:
How do I calculate the rotation velocity of a boomerang assuming that the period is like 0.5 seconds ?
What do you mean by "rotation velocity"? If you already know that it rotates with a period of 0.5 seconds then calculation of its rotation rate would seem to be rather simple.

Are you, perhaps, asking to calculate the rotation rate based on the linear velocity of the boomerang and an assumption that the end of the blade that is held in the hand is stationary at launch?

jbriggs444 said:
What do you mean by "rotation velocity"? If you already know that it rotates with a period of 0.5 seconds then calculation of its rotation rate would seem to be rather simple.

Are you, perhaps, asking to calculate the rotation rate based on the linear velocity of the boomerang and an assumption that the end of the blade that is held in the hand is stationary at launch?

Is exactly that my question

RicardoMarques said:
Is exactly that my question
So we have the linear velocity of the boomerang as a given. Let's call that "v".

When we say that the boomerang is moving at v, it suggests that there is a point that is moving at v and that the boomerang is rotating around that moving point. That point has a name. Can you name it?

Likes RicardoMarques
I want to know this "a" assuming that the period is like 0.5... In the paper i read about it they call that velocity "a" rotation velocity... but is given i m/s and angular velocity is in rad/s, so I am kinda confused about this

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 382
RicardoMarques said:
I want to know this "a" assuming that the period is like 0.5... In the paper i read about it they call that velocity "a" rotation velocity... but is given i m/s and angular velocity is in rad/s, so I am kinda confused about this
I would have called it a "tangential velocity". It will be given by the rotation rate (in rad/s) multiplied by the radius.

If the radius is measured in meters, the resulting tangential velocity will be in meters/sec

1. What is rotation velocity on a boomerang?

The rotation velocity on a boomerang refers to the speed at which the boomerang rotates when thrown. It is an important factor in determining the flight path and distance of the boomerang.

2. How does rotation velocity affect the flight of a boomerang?

The rotation velocity is directly related to the stability and distance of a boomerang's flight. A higher rotation velocity can lead to a more stable flight and longer distance, while a lower rotation velocity may cause the boomerang to veer off course or fall to the ground.

3. How can I increase the rotation velocity of a boomerang?

The rotation velocity of a boomerang can be increased by throwing it with more force and at a higher angle. Additionally, making sure the boomerang is properly balanced and has enough airfoil can also contribute to a higher rotation velocity.

4. Does the shape of a boomerang affect its rotation velocity?

Yes, the shape of a boomerang can greatly affect its rotation velocity. Boomerangs with longer arms and a wider airfoil tend to have a higher rotation velocity compared to those with shorter arms and a narrower airfoil.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when throwing a boomerang with high rotation velocity?

Yes, it is important to always throw a boomerang in an open and clear area to avoid hitting anyone or anything. Additionally, wearing protective gear, such as gloves, can help prevent any potential injuries from a boomerang with high rotation velocity.