Rotational Dynamics and angle of theta

In summary: I don't know if it is the angle or what, but I need to get my hands on calculus. In summary, I tried to do this problem with related rates and calculus, but I am not sure how to solve it.
jman1211
I tried to do this problem with related rates and calculus. We have not done physics with calculus, however. The other way I thought about was using the angular velocity of the board when the stick is taken away. I cannot seem to solve it though.

A common physics demonstration consists of a ball resting at the end of a board of length L that is elevated at an angle of theta with the horizontal. A light cup is attached to the board at Rc (Rc is a distance up the board from the bottom, it is not past the support stick) so that it will catch the ball when the support stick is suddenly removed. a) show that the ball will lag behind the falling board when theta < 35.3 and b) the ball will fall into the cup when the board is supported at this limiting angle and the cup is placed at
Rc = (2L)/(3cos(theta))

The board is hinged to the table.

Any hints would be wonderful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Though I am not getting the problem clearly, I think you are missing the correct value of the velocity of the ball when it leaves the board, after that it is a projectile.

The potential energy lost is converted into the kinetic energy, both rotational and translational. the total kinetic energy of a ball having pure rotation is given by (7/10)mv^2 not (1/2)mv^2, where v is the velocity of center of mass.

May this help you ! :smile:

The board is kept up at some angle with a stick. When it is removed the board falls flat, or hinges downwards. The cup therefore swings in beneath the ball which is falling straight downwards. Let me tell you what does not seem to work (I tried to solve it without using calculus). I assumed that the cm of the board falls downwards at g. Using it's y-coord and the distance it is mounted along the board one can calculate the angle of the board aa fn of time. This enables one to calculate the position of any point on he board wrt time. The difference between the ball's y-coord and the cup's y-coord did not get me to something that looks promising.

Related to Rotational Dynamics and angle of theta

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the application of Newton's laws of motion to rotating bodies and the use of concepts such as torque, angular velocity, and moment of inertia.

2. What is the angle of theta in rotational dynamics?

The angle of theta, also known as the angular displacement, is the measure of the amount of rotation an object undergoes around a fixed axis. It is usually measured in radians and is represented by the Greek letter θ.

3. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics deals with the motion of objects that rotate, while linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects that move in a straight line. In rotational dynamics, the motion is described in terms of angular quantities such as torque and angular velocity, while in linear dynamics, the motion is described in terms of linear quantities such as force and velocity.

4. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of the object, which is the rate at which the angular velocity changes. This relationship is described by the formula τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.

5. How is the concept of moment of inertia used in rotational dynamics?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear dynamics, but instead of measuring an object's resistance to translational motion, it measures its resistance to rotational motion. It is used in calculations involving torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.