Rotational Dynamics and Equillibrium HELP

In summary: If he were to touch the edge of the turntable, he would have an effect on I and the equation would have to be re-worked.
cukitas2001
Hey guys, i don't know why its always two or three problems on my homework that always stump me. Any help and tips are appreciated

1) A wheel with a weight of 393N comes off a moving truck and rolls without slipping along a highway. At the bottom of a hill it is rotating at an angular velocity of 27.6 rad/s. The radius of the wheel is 0.645m and its moment of inertia about its rotation axis is 0.800MR^2 . Friction does work on the wheel as it rolls up the hill to a stop, at a height of above the bottom of the hill; this work has a magnitude of 3536J.

Part A) Calculate h. Use 9.81m/s^2 for the acceleration due to gravity.

I tried an energy approach and got an expression for h as follows:
h=(2*3536)/(I*omega^2) where I was moment of inertia...i think i messed up in the friction part though. Any advice?

2) A large turntable rotates about a fixed vertical axis, making one revolution in a time of 5.90s. The moment of inertia of the turntable about this axis is 1250kg*m^2 . A child with a mass of 45.0kg, initially standing at the center of the turntable, runs out along a radius.

Part A) What is the angular speed of the turntable when the child is a distance of 2.40m from the center? (Assume that you can treat the child as a particle.)

No idea where to even being on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well down hill the wheel has both translational and rotational kinetic energy, and when is going to a height h it only has gravitational potential energy. Your expression seems incomplete for A.

Last edited:
How can i take into account both translational and rotational values then? btw i figured out 2 so just focusing on 1 now

I had forgotten to take into account frictional work done so i came up with a new expression for h: (.800(393/9.81)*(.645^2)*(27.6^2)+3536)/(2*393)
this gives me a height of 17.4 m, does this seem right?

Last edited:
Well write out the equation

[tex] \Omega_{gravity} = K_{tras} + K_{rot} [/tex]

[tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} + \frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\omega^{2} [/tex]

Cyclovenom said:
Well write out the equation

[tex] \Omega_{gravity} = K_{tras} + K_{rot} [/tex]

[tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} + \frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\omega^{2} [/tex]
What aobut the fricitonal work of 3536 J ?

Oh didn't notice, yes it has to be added, because it does work on the wheel.

ok so I am using:

h=(.5*40.1*(17.8^2)+.5*.8*40.1*(.645^2)*(27.6^2)+3536)/393

where 40.1 is the mass 40.1kg of the wheel weighing 393N and 17.8 is the translational velocity using the relation v=r*omega. I'm getting 38.1m but it doenst seem right though...was i supposed to subtract the friction work?

nvm it was minus friction force got the answer

Last edited:
What about the second problem?

I happened to come across this post.
What about the second problem in the orginial post?
How would you do that problem?
I'm just curious...
Anyone willing to teach?
P.S. I'm not a Physics major, so I don't know everything about it (sorry:blushing: no offense to anyone:smile: ) I was thinking about majoring in Physics.
I think I could probably follow it if someone just did the problem like a book example.

Last edited:
Angular momentum is conserved. With linear momentum, if the mass increases, the velocity increases. For rotation, you use moment of inertia and angular velocity. When the child moves from the center outward, he increases the moment of inertia of the system, so the angular velocity must decrease. Its nice that you can treat him as a point particle because he has no effect on I if the radius is zero

Related to Rotational Dynamics and Equillibrium HELP

1. What is rotational dynamics and equilibrium?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating around an axis. Equilibrium refers to a state in which the net torque acting on an object is zero, resulting in a constant rotational motion.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

The main difference between linear and rotational motion is the axis of rotation. In linear motion, the object's movement is along a straight line, while in rotational motion, it moves around a fixed point or axis.

3. How do you calculate torque in rotational dynamics?

Torque is calculated as the product of force and the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.

4. What is the importance of equilibrium in rotational dynamics?

Equilibrium is crucial in rotational dynamics as it ensures a stable and balanced rotation of an object. It also allows us to calculate the forces and torques acting on an object to maintain its equilibrium state.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational dynamics and equilibrium?

Some common examples of rotational dynamics and equilibrium include a spinning top, a merry-go-round, a pendulum, and a spinning wheel. Other examples can be found in everyday objects such as door hinges, bicycle wheels, and ceiling fans.