Rotational Dynamics Help Needed

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a massless string, a solid cylinder, and a block of mass 2.0kg. The problem asks to calculate the mass of the cylinder using a freebody diagram and later using conservation of mechanical energy. The person is stuck at a point where they need the radius of the cylinder, but despite trying different formulas, they cannot find a solution. They are instructed to try solving the problem without plugging in a number for the radius.
lee_chick
I'm sure there is something ridiculously simple I'm missing here but this questions has been driving me crazy and now I'm sure I couldn't see the answer if it stared me right in the face.

Homework Statement

A massless string is wrapped around a solid cylinder. A block of mass m=2.0kg hangs from the string. When released the block falls a distance of 82 cm in 2.0s. Starting with a freebody diagram calculate the mass of the cylinder.

*I can't use conservation of energy to solve this as the next question indicates that I am to solve the question again using conservation of mechanical energy.

Homework Equations

y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at2
F=ma
torsion = rF
Net Torsion = Moment of Inertia x rotational acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

r = ? **This is the part that has me stumped - all of the formulae I know need a radius.
m = 2.0kg
y = 0.82m
t = 2.0s
v0 = 0m/s
mc = ?

Step One: Determine the force of inertia of the cylinder:

y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at2
a=(2y)/(t2)
a = (2 x 0.82m) / (2.0s2)
a = 0.41 m/s2
Fa = ma = 0.41m/s2 x 2.0kg = 0.82N
Fg = mg = 9.81m/s2 x 2.0kg = 19.62N
FI = Fg - Fa = 19.62N - 0.82N = 18.8N

This is as far as I can get before I start running into brick walls. I've played with several different formulae but I always run into a point where I need the radius of the cylinder (which I don't have). Am I missing something really obvious here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try solving it anyway, just leave the radius as "R" without plugging in a number for it. See what you can come up with that way.

p.s. Welcome to PF.

Dear student,

It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations. However, you are correct in that you need the radius of the cylinder to continue. It is possible that the question is asking you to solve for the mass of the cylinder using conservation of mechanical energy, which would involve finding the moment of inertia of the cylinder. In order to do this, you would need to know the radius of the cylinder.

If the question specifically states that you are not allowed to use conservation of energy, then it is possible that there is not enough information given to solve for the mass of the cylinder. In that case, I would recommend double checking the problem and seeing if there are any other clues or given information that could help you solve for the radius of the cylinder.

I would also suggest checking with your teacher or classmates for any clarification or hints on how to approach this problem. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help solve a difficult problem. Keep up the good work and don't give up! There is always a solution to every problem, even if it may seem elusive at first. Good luck!

Related to Rotational Dynamics Help Needed

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that rotate, such as wheels, gears, and planets. It involves understanding the forces and torques that act on rotating objects and how they affect their motion.

2. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

While linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, rotational dynamics focuses on the motion of objects that rotate about an axis. This means that rotational dynamics involves angular quantities such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and moment of inertia, whereas linear dynamics deals with linear quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and mass.

3. What is the equation for rotational motion?

The equation for rotational motion is τ = Iα, where τ represents the net torque acting on an object, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This equation is similar to Newton's second law, F=ma, but for rotational motion instead of linear motion.

4. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for an object?

The moment of inertia depends on the mass and distribution of mass of an object. For simple shapes like spheres, cylinders, and rods, there are specific formulas for calculating the moment of inertia. For more complex shapes, you can use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia about a given axis.

5. How does rotational dynamics apply to real-world scenarios?

Rotational dynamics is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of many everyday objects, such as bicycles, cars, and amusement park rides. It is also crucial in fields like engineering, robotics, and astronomy, where rotating objects play a significant role in the design and function of various systems.