Rotational Dynamics Homework: Find Initial Angular Mom & Ang Vel When Bar Vert

In summary: The parallel axis theorem can be used to relate these two moments of inertia.In summary, a uniform bar of length L is freely hinged at one end A and released from a horizontal position. The initial angular momentum is found to be 3g/2L and the angular velocity when the bar is vertical is (3g/L)^(1/2). The moment of inertia, I, can be expressed as (ML^2)/3 and the parallel axis theorem can be used to relate the moment of inertia about one end of the bar to the moment of inertia about its center of mass. The total kinetic energy of the object can also be expressed as (1/2)IAω2.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

A uniform bar AB of length L is freely hinged at one end A and released from a horizontal position.
a) Find the initial angular momentum. Ans: 3g/2L
b)Find the angular velocity when the bar is vertical. Ans: (3g/L)^(1/2)

Homework Equations

momentum of inertial of a rod through end =(ML^2)/3

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problem with part a, I did it like this
Let N be the moment, I be the inertia of moment, a be the angular acceleration.
N = Ia
mg(L/2) = ML^2 /3 a
a= 3g/2L

But I have problem with part b, I tried to do it with energy conservation
Kr + Kt = PE
Iw^2 /2 + mw^2(L^2)/2 = mgL/2
1/3 L w^2 + w^2L = g

I would be correct if I neglect the linear KE, but I don't think it should be neglected, is my method of doing part b wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For rotation about a fixed axis, A, the total KE of the object is (1/2)IAω2.

It is possible to express this as KE = (1/2)Mvcm2 + (1/2)Icmω2. But this would not be helpful for this problem.

Likes Clara Chung
TSny said:
For rotation about a fixed axis, A, the total KE of the object is (1/2)IAω2.

It is possible to express this as KE = (1/2)Mvcm2 + (1/2)Icmω2. But this would not be helpful for this problem.

Thanks. what is Icm?

cm is center of mass

Likes Clara Chung
Moment of inertia, I, depends on the origin. The moment of inertia about the center of the rod is different than the moment of inertia about one end of the rod.

Likes Clara Chung

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces in objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path.

2. How do you find the initial angular momentum of a rotating object?

To find the initial angular momentum, you need to multiply the moment of inertia of the object by its initial angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation, while the angular velocity is the rate at which the object is rotating.

3. What is the equation for determining angular velocity?

The equation for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents angular velocity, Δθ represents the change in the angle of rotation, and Δt represents the change in time.

4. Can you explain how to find the initial angular velocity of a rotating object?

To find the initial angular velocity, you first need to identify the initial angle and final angle of rotation. Then, you can use the equation ω = Δθ/Δt to calculate the angular velocity. The change in time can be determined by subtracting the initial time from the final time.

5. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular momentum?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object is rotating, while angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating. Angular momentum takes into account not only the object's angular velocity, but also its moment of inertia.