Rotational equilibrium problem (ladder against a wall)

In summary, the ladder is pulling down on the weight of the man, and the weight of the ladder is pulling down on the weight of the object. The total of all the moments must be zero, so we do rotational equilibrium by calculating the torque produced by Rh.
LuigiAM
Hi everyone,

Our professor gave us a bunch of solved problems to practice with before the exam, and this one I'm struggling with:

lFK4EXn.jpg

lBMn6Io.jpg

I'm trying to work through the solution step by step, and I get stuck at the point (3).

What I understand is that we want to get the value of RH, which is equal in magnitude to friction. So to do this, we do rotational equilibrium - the total of all the moments must be zero.

What I don't understand is why is it set equal to RH times 4? I don't understand this. RH is acting at the end of the latter, which is 5 meters long. Shouldn't it be RH times 5 instead of 4?

Attachments

• lFK4EXn.jpg
    lFK4EXn.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,167
  • lBMn6Io.jpg
    lBMn6Io.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,932
Physics news on Phys.org
LuigiAM said:
Hi everyone,

Our professor gave us a bunch of solved problems to practice with before the exam, and this one I'm struggling with:

View attachment 216495
View attachment 216496

I'm trying to work through the solution step by step, and I get stuck at the point (3).

What I understand is that we want to get the value of RH, which is equal in magnitude to friction. So to do this, we do rotational equilibrium - the total of all the moments must be zero.

What I don't understand is why is it set equal to RH times 4? I don't understand this. RH is acting at the end of the latter, which is 5 meters long. Shouldn't it be RH times 5 instead of 4?
When you calculate torque produce by Rh taking pivot point at ground then
Torque =perpendicular distace from pivot to direction of force χ Rh
Thats why here 4 is taken not 5

Likes LuigiAM
It could have said Rh x (5 m) x sinθ. Note that in this case with a 3-4-5 triangle, that sinθ = (4/5). So Rh x (5 m) x sinθ will equal Rh x (4m).

CORRECTION (fixed now). I should have said sinθ rather than cosθ

Likes LuigiAM
Ohh I think I get it... it's because Rh is in a different direction than the weight of the man and the weight of the ladder, so we multiply it by sin rather than cosine, and 5 times the sin of 53.1 is 4?

It's a bit unintuitive for me (I haven't done trigonometry since the late 90s...!)

I think the drawing is a bit unhelpful, it's easier if I re-draw the ladder as a straight line to show the forces at their angle so it becomes more clear)

LuigiAM said:
Ohh I think I get it... it's because Rh is in a different direction than the weight of the man and the weight of the ladder, so we multiply it by sin...
I think the drawing is a bit unhelpful, it's easier if I re-draw the ladder as a straight line to show the forces at their angle so it becomes more clear)
and I know it's just supposed to be a sketch, but their drawing isn't even close to being scaled (3-4-5) triangle. ?:)

1. What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating, or is rotating at a constant rate, without any external forces causing it to rotate. This means that the sum of all the clockwise and counterclockwise moments acting on the object is equal to zero.

2. How does a ladder against a wall represent a rotational equilibrium problem?

A ladder against a wall is a common example of a rotational equilibrium problem because the ladder is in a state of rest, and the forces acting on it are balanced. The weight of the ladder is acting downward, while the normal force from the wall is acting upward. This creates a clockwise moment from the weight and a counterclockwise moment from the normal force, balancing each other out.

3. What are the key variables to consider in a rotational equilibrium problem?

The key variables to consider in a rotational equilibrium problem are the forces acting on the object, their respective distances from the pivot point, and their directions. These variables are necessary to calculate the net moment and determine if the object is in rotational equilibrium.

4. How can I solve a rotational equilibrium problem involving a ladder against a wall?

To solve a rotational equilibrium problem involving a ladder against a wall, you will need to apply the principles of rotational equilibrium by setting the sum of all the moments equal to zero and solving for the unknown variable. This may involve using trigonometric functions or the concept of torque.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational equilibrium problems?

Rotational equilibrium problems have many real-life applications, such as in the design and construction of bridges, cranes, and other structures. They are also important in understanding the stability and balance of objects, such as a ladder against a wall or a person standing on one foot. In addition, rotational equilibrium is essential in the study of rotational motion and dynamics in physics and engineering.