Rotational motion conservation of energy; time

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hollow cylinder rolling on a horizontal surface and reaching a 15 degree incline. The first part of the problem is solved using conservation of energy and trigonometry, while the second part involves finding the time the cylinder spends on the incline. The conversation includes clarification on the need for the cylinder's mass and radius in the calculations and provides a hint for solving the second part using simple kinematics. The final solution is found by calculating the average speed and multiplying it by two to get the total time on the incline.
0338jw

Homework Statement

A hollow cylinder (hoop) is rolling on a horizontal surface at speed v=3.3m/s when it reaches a 15 degree incline. How far up the incline will it go? How long will it be on the incline before it arrives back at the bottom.

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA
MGH=KEtrans +KErot
w=v/r
x=theta*r
[tex]\omega[/tex]^2=wo^2 +2[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\vartheta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have finished the first part of the problem and solved for 4.3 m using conservation of energy and a little trig. The second part is giving me trouble because I'm not sure if I calculated the radius of the hoop correctly (.525m) which could be throwing off my substitutions and calculations. I used the last equation listed with 2[tex]\pi[/tex] for theta. I know the time should be 5.2 seconds but I'm doing something wrong. I know i have to relate speed and time where vf=0 and take that time and multiply is by 2 to get the total time on ramp. Please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the mass of the hoop? (this is only relevant to check your work)

(and with your work, I arrived at 5.21 seconds on the ramp)You can simplify this problem immensely for the second part. Just treat it like an object decelerating from 3.3 m/s to 0 m/s over 4.3 meters. Once you've solved for that acceleration, you have a nifty formula relating velocity, acceleration, and time.

Last edited:
The mass of the hoop is not given, i was under the impression mass does not matter because it all cancels out? Which equation can I use to determine the mass of the hoop? I'll do the work but I just don't know which one to use. I don't see an equation relating rotational motion and mass..

0338jw said:
The mass of the hoop is not given, i was under the impression mass does not matter because it all cancels out? Which equation can I use to determine the mass of the hoop? I'll do the work but I just don't know which one to use. I don't see an equation relating rotational motion and mass..

Yeah, ignore that entirely. I misread what you wrote. You don't need to solve for the mass.

0338jw said:
The second part is giving me trouble because I'm not sure if I calculated the radius of the hoop correctly (.525m) which could be throwing off my substitutions and calculations. I used the last equation listed with 2[tex]\pi[/tex] for theta. I know the time should be 5.2 seconds but I'm doing something wrong. I know i have to relate speed and time where vf=0 and take that time and multiply is by 2 to get the total time on ramp. Please help?
To find the time on the ramp you do not need to know (nor do you have sufficient information to determine) the radius of the hoop. (Nor do you need the mass of the hoop.)

Hint: What's the average translational speed of the hoop as it goes up the ramp?

hmm. I'm sort of confused by what you mean by average translational speed of the hoop, do you mean to plug my numbers back into PE=KEtrans +KErot? would the average translational speed be Vf-Vo/2?

0338jw said:
I'm sort of confused by what you mean by average translational speed of the hoop, do you mean to plug my numbers back into PE=KEtrans +KErot?
No. All you need is simple kinematics.
would the average translational speed be Vf-Vo/2?
Almost: Vave = (Vf + Vo)/2

I plugged my numbers back into x=1/2at^2 +Vo*T +X0 substituting (Vf-Vo)/T But I still get the wrong answer. What am i missing?

The only formula you need is distance = ave speed X time. You don't need the acceleration.

when I use that eq I get (0-3.3m/s)/2=-1.65m/s.
4.3m=-1.65*T I get -2.6 for T which isn;t right. Sorry if I'm not getting something this simple but I am just not seeing something.

0338jw said:
when I use that eq I get (0-3.3m/s)/2=-1.65m/s.
4.3m=-1.65*T I get -2.6 for T which isn;t right.
(1) The average speed is 1.65 m/s, not -1.65 m/s. (Why are you subtracting?)
(2) Going up the incline is just half the time.

yes! thank you! I forgot to multiply it by two! It was negative because I thought it was Vf-V0 leaving -3.3m/s. Thanks a bunch! :biggrin:

Related to Rotational motion conservation of energy; time

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or point, rather than in a straight line. This type of motion is commonly observed in objects such as wheels, planets, and spinning tops.

What is conservation of energy in rotational motion?

Conservation of energy in rotational motion is the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed. In other words, the total energy of a rotating object remains constant, even as it undergoes changes in its rotational motion.

How is time related to rotational motion and conservation of energy?

Time is an important factor in rotational motion and conservation of energy. The amount of time it takes for an object to complete a rotation, known as the period, is directly related to its rotational energy. Additionally, the concept of time is crucial in understanding the rate at which energy is transferred or transformed in a rotating system.

What are some real-life examples of rotational motion and conservation of energy?

There are many examples of rotational motion and conservation of energy in our daily lives. Some examples include the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the spinning of a top, the movement of a ceiling fan, and the orbit of planets around the sun. These all demonstrate how energy is conserved in rotational motion.

What are some practical applications of understanding rotational motion and conservation of energy?

Understanding rotational motion and conservation of energy has numerous practical applications. It is essential in the design and operation of machines such as turbines, engines, and motors. It also plays a crucial role in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where rotational motion is a key component. Additionally, this knowledge is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.