Rotational Motion Final Angular Speed Calculation

In summary, the final angular speed of the object is given by omega = sqrt(2A/I) where A is a constant and I is the object's rotational inertia. This can be derived by equating the work done by the torque with the change in kinetic energy of the object.
rpthomps

Homework Statement

An object of rotational inertia I is initially at rest. A torque is then applied to the object, causing it to begin rotating. The torque is applied for only one-quarter of a revolution, during which time its magnitude is given by \tau =Acos\Theta , where A is a constant and /Theta is the angle through which the object has rotated. What is the final angular speed of the object?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##W=\Delta K\\ \int _{ 0 }^{ \frac { \pi }{ 2 } }{ \tau d\theta } =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } I\omega ^2\\ \\ \int _{ 0 }^{ \frac { \pi }{ 2 } }{ Acos\theta d\theta } =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } I\omega ^2\\ \\ \frac{A\pi}{2}=\frac { 1 }{ 2 } I\omega ^2\\\\\omega=\sqrt { \frac{A\pi }{I} }##Answer in the back of the book:##omega=\sqrt { \frac{2A }{I} }##

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your evaluation of the integral.

Likes rpthomps
yup, I see it now. I appreciate it. I am not sure how I missed that.

Thanks again

1. What is rotational motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is different from linear motion, which is the movement of an object in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object moves in a circular or curved path, while in linear motion, the object moves in a straight line.

2. How do you calculate final angular speed?

Final angular speed, or angular velocity, is calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the final angular speed, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the unit for final angular speed?

The unit for final angular speed is radians per second (rad/s). However, it can also be expressed in revolutions per minute (rpm) or degrees per second (°/s).

4. What factors affect the final angular speed of an object?

The final angular speed of an object can be affected by several factors, including the initial angular speed, the moment of inertia, the torque applied, and any external forces acting on the object. The shape, size, and mass distribution of the object can also affect its final angular speed.

5. How is rotational motion used in real life?

Rotational motion is used in many real-life scenarios, such as the rotation of wheels on a car, the spinning of a top, the movement of a Ferris wheel, and the rotation of the Earth. It is also important in many sports, such as figure skating, gymnastics, and diving, where athletes perform rotations around a fixed point. In engineering and technology, rotational motion is used in machines such as turbines, motors, and gears.