Rotational Motion (Neutron Star)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a past paper about a star with a mass of 3.0 x 10^30 kg and a radius of 7.0 x 10^8 m that rotates with a period of 27.0 days. The angular speed of rotation is calculated to be 2.46 x 10^-5 rad/s and the angular momentum is determined to be 1.446 x 10^43 kgm^2/s. The star's collapse to form a neutron star is also discussed, with the radius of the neutron star calculated to be 34.71 km. Finally, the torque acting on the neutron star is calculated to be 1 x 10^39 N.
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

I'm doing a question from a past paper, preparing for an upcoming exam. There is no solutions so I was wondering if my answer is correct for all parts.

Take a star to be a uniform sphere with mass [tex]M_{i}=3.0 \times 10^{30} Kg[/tex] and radius [tex]R_{i} = 7.0 \times 10^{8}m[/tex] that rotates with a period of 27.0 days.

(i) What's the star's angular speed of rotation?
(ii) What's the star's angular momentum?
(iii) At the end of it's lifetime, the star collapses to form a very compact star called a neutron star. If the star retains all it's mass when it collapses and the angular speed of the rotation of the neutron star that forms is [tex]\omega _{f} = 10^{4} rad/s[/tex]. what is the radius of the neutron star in kilometres?
(iv) If the neutron star's period of rotation is observed to be increasing at a rate of [tex]1.2 \times 10^{-5}s/yr[/tex], what is the torque acting on the star?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) [tex]27 days = 2332800 s[/tex]. The star rotates 360 degrees in 27 days. [tex] \omega = \frac{\frac{360}{2\pi}}{T} = 2.46 \times 10^{-5} rad/s [/tex]

(ii) [tex] \begin{align} L & =I \omega \\
& = \frac{2}{5} M_{i}R_{i}^{2} \omega \\
& = \frac{2}{5}(3 \times 10^{30})(7 \times 10^{8})^{2} \\
& = 1.446 \times 10^{43} Kgm^{2}/s\end{align} [/tex]

(iii) Conservation of angular momentum [tex] \begin{align} I_{i} \omega_{i}&= I_{f} \omega_{f} \\
\frac{2}{5}M_{i}R_{i}^{2} \omega_{i} & = \frac{2}{5}M_{f}R_{f}^{2} \omega_{f} \\
R_{f} & = \sqrt{\frac{\omega_{i}}{\omega_{f}}R_{i}^{2}} \\
& = 34.718.87 m \\
& = 34.71 km \end{align} [/tex]

(iv) [tex] \begin{align} \Delta L & = I_{f} \omega_{f} - I_{i} \omega{i} \\
& = 1.2 \times 10^{34} kgm^{2}/s\end{align} [/tex]

[tex] \tau = \frac{\Delta L}{\Delta T} = \frac{1.2 \times 10^{34}}{1.2 \times 10^{-5}} = 1 \times 10^{39} N [/tex]

Thanks. Does this look okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Revisit your determination of the angular velocity in part (i). The method should not involve degrees at all. One "cycle" or rotation is ##2 \pi ~ rad## (just as one rotation is also 360 degrees, but your angular velocity should be specified in radians per second).

I believe that part (iv) is meant to pertain to the star once it's already in neutron star form: it's observed to be slowing at the specified rate. So it won't involve the initial state of the star at all.

1. What is rotational motion in the context of a neutron star?

Rotational motion in a neutron star refers to the spinning or rotating motion of the star around its axis. Neutron stars are incredibly dense and compact, and their rotation can cause them to spin at extremely high speeds, sometimes hundreds of times per second.

2. How is rotational motion in a neutron star measured?

Rotational motion in a neutron star can be measured using a variety of techniques, including radio and X-ray observations. By tracking changes in the star's electromagnetic emissions over time, astronomers can determine its rotation rate and changes in its rotational speed.

3. What causes the rotational motion of a neutron star?

The rotational motion of a neutron star is caused by the conservation of angular momentum during the star's formation. As a massive star collapses and becomes a neutron star, its rotation rate increases due to the conservation of angular momentum, similar to how an ice skater spins faster when they pull their arms in.

4. Can a neutron star's rotational motion change over time?

Yes, a neutron star's rotational motion can change over time due to various factors. For example, if the star is part of a binary system, interactions with its companion star can cause its rotation rate to speed up or slow down. Additionally, as neutron stars age, their rotation rates can also decrease due to the emission of energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation.

5. How does rotational motion impact the behavior and characteristics of a neutron star?

The rotational motion of a neutron star can impact its behavior and characteristics in several ways. For instance, the star's rapid rotation can create strong magnetic fields, which can influence its electromagnetic emissions and interactions with its surroundings. Additionally, the star's rotation can also affect its shape, causing it to bulge at the equator and flatten at the poles.