Roughly how many people in this world actually know about string theory?

In summary, it is difficult to determine exactly how many people in the world know about string theory, as the definition of "know about" can vary. However, it is likely that only a few hundred individuals have a deep and thorough understanding of string theory, with possibly no one fully understanding it. Additionally, while there is still controversy surrounding string theory and its connection to the physical world, some of the mathematical tools developed for it have applications in other areas of study.
alan123hk
Roughly how many people in this world actually know about string theory?
I'm guessing no more than a few hundred because the math of string theory is so esoteric.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "know about". Sounds to me like you mean "fully understand" which is hardly the same thing.

Likes StevieTNZ, russ_watters, BillTre and 1 other person
caz said:
Looking at https://www.aip.org/statistics/reports/trends-physics-phds-171819 one would guess several thousand, but that would include people who are no longer active.
This appears to be just the number of doctorates awarded each year, which includes physics and all other fields of academic study. I don't think even academics with PhDs in physics necessarily have a deep understanding of string theory because there are so many different areas of study in physics.
Furthermore, I think that perhaps one or two of the ten outstanding scholars who have obtained doctorates in theoretical physics can really understand string theory thoroughly.

phinds said:
Define "know about". Sounds to me like you mean "fully understand" which is hardly the same thing.
Yes, I mean a deep and thorough understanding of string theory.
There are probably no more than a few hundred such geniuses among the billions of people in the world.

Last edited:
alan123hk said:
Yes, I mean a deep and thorough understanding of string theory.
That number could be as small as zero. Depending on your definition?
How long is a piece of string?

Likes alan123hk
Vanadium 50 said:
How long is a piece of string?

Long enough to reach each end. . . . :-p

Likes BillTre
phinds said:
I was going to say that. I'm sure more than a few hundred people know about string theory. It is simply delusional to think otherwise.

To the OP: your question is poorly phrased.

Vanadium 50 said:
That number could be as small as zero. Depending on your definition?
I look again at the linked video clip from the first post. It seems that string theory itself is not very complete, there is still controversy, and there is no experiment to confirm its authenticity
From this perspective, perhaps until now, no one in the world has really fully understood string theory.

alan123hk said:
I look again at the linked video clip from the first post. It seems that string theory itself is not very complete, there is still controversy, and there is no experiment to confirm its authenticity
From this perspective, perhaps no one in the world really fully understands string theory.
String Theory, as I understand it, is an elegant mathematical construct that so far has no correlation to the physical world.

Likes alan123hk
phinds said:
no correlation to the physical world.
Not so. It may be that matter is not made of strings, but some of the mathematical tools developed for strings have applications elsewhere.

Vanadium 50 said:
Not so. It may be that matter is not made of strings, but some of the mathematical tools developed for strings have applications elsewhere.
Fair enough. I was really just thinking of String Theory as a description of matter. I may BE such a description, but no way to tell yet.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions by proposing that they are not point-like particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings.

2. How many people know about string theory?

It is difficult to determine an exact number, but it is estimated that only a small percentage of the general population is familiar with string theory, as it is a complex and highly specialized topic in physics.

3. Who came up with string theory?

String theory was first proposed by a group of physicists in the late 1960s, including Gabriele Veneziano, Leonard Susskind, and Yoichiro Nambu. However, it has since been developed and expanded upon by many other scientists.

4. Is string theory considered a proven theory?

No, string theory is still a theoretical framework and has not yet been proven through experimentation. It is currently a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

5. What is the potential impact of string theory?

If string theory is proven to be true, it could have a huge impact on our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in physics. However, until it is proven, its impact remains uncertain.