Row reduced echelon form and its meaning

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to prove that the system equation Ax=0 has only one solution, it is necessary for there to be a leading element in every column of the reduced row echelon form (RREF) of matrix A. This is because a leading element signifies a specific value for a variable, while a column without a leading element represents a free variable with infinite possible values. Similarly, to prove that the system equation Ax=b has a solution, it is necessary for there to be no rows of zeros in the RREF of matrix A. This ensures that every equation in the system is consistent and has a unique solution.
CStudent
Hey.

I have the following question to solve:

* Given a matrix A that is size m x n and m>n.
Let R be the RREF that we get by Gaussian elimination of A.
Prove that the system equation Ax=0 has only one solution iff in every column of R there is a leading element.

I have some answer of intuition so I'm not really sure,
Let's assume that we had R with some free variable, and we know(?) that any free variable has a degree of freedom which means that it yields infinite number of solutions.

Now, I am not sure again about the establishment of this proof and to what extent it's accurate. Moreover, I am not if it proves the point of iff (equivalence).

Another similar question, but I have no idea what it means:

* Given a matrix A that is size m x n and m>n.
Let R be the RREF that we get by gaussian elimination of A.
Prove that for every
gif.latex
the system equation Ax=b has a solution iff R doesn't have rows of zeros.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I am happy to provide some insight and clarification for you.

Firstly, to prove that the system equation Ax=0 has only one solution, we need to show that the system is consistent (has a solution) and that the solution is unique (there are no other solutions).

In order for the system to be consistent, it must have a solution for every row of the matrix R. This means that every column of R must have a leading element (a non-zero element that is the first non-zero element in its column). This is because if there is no leading element in a column, it means that the corresponding variable is a free variable and can take on any value, leading to an infinite number of solutions.

On the other hand, if there is a leading element in every column of R, it means that every variable has a specific value and there is no degree of freedom, leading to only one unique solution for the system.

Therefore, the statement "iff in every column of R there is a leading element" is accurate and proves the point of equivalence.

For the second question, the statement "iff R doesn't have rows of zeros" means that every row in R must have at least one non-zero element. This is because if there is a row of zeros, it means that the corresponding equation is inconsistent and has no solution.

Therefore, for the system equation Ax=b to have a solution, R must not have any rows of zeros. This is because if there is a row of zeros, it means that the corresponding equation is inconsistent and has no solution. Conversely, if R does not have any rows of zeros, it means that every equation in the system is consistent and has a solution.

I hope this helps clarify the proof for you. Let me know if you have any further questions or require additional clarification.

What is a row reduced echelon form?

A row reduced echelon form, also known as RREF, is a specific form of a matrix in which the leading coefficient of each row is to the right of the leading coefficient of the row above it, and all entries in a column below a leading coefficient are zeros. This form is useful for solving systems of linear equations, finding solutions to homogeneous systems, and determining rank and linear independence.

How is a matrix converted to row reduced echelon form?

To convert a matrix to row reduced echelon form, a series of elementary row operations are performed. These operations include swapping two rows, multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, and adding a multiple of one row to another. These operations are repeated until the matrix is in RREF.

Why is row reduced echelon form important in linear algebra?

RREF is important because it simplifies a matrix and makes it easier to analyze and solve systems of linear equations. It also helps in finding the rank and linear independence of a set of vectors, which are important concepts in linear algebra.

Can every matrix be converted to row reduced echelon form?

Yes, every matrix can be converted to RREF through a series of elementary row operations. However, the resulting RREF may not be unique.

What are the applications of row reduced echelon form in real life?

RREF is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve systems of linear equations and model real-world scenarios. It is also used in computer graphics and machine learning to manipulate and analyze data. Additionally, RREF is used in coding and error correction algorithms in communication systems.