RPM & Gas Mileage: Effects on Overdrive Vehicles

• Thread starter Greg Larsen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Rpm
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of RPM on gas mileage, with the speaker sharing their experience with different vehicles and their corresponding gas mileage. They mention that overdrives and engine size can play a role in gas mileage, with the speaker's '82 Buick Riviera getting better gas mileage compared to their two 1968 Chevys.
Greg Larsen
I was reading a post about the effects of RPM on gas mileage, It was from 2007 so I couldn't reply to it. RPM does make a difference on gas mileage when it comes to overdrives. I had an '82 Buick Riviera with a small block engine with an overdrive and a quadrajet that got 26 MPG on the freeway and about 21 in the city. I now have two 1968 Chevys with carburated 327s that only get about 17 MPG. One had a 2.73 rear end and the other a 3.08. The RPM on the Riviera going 70 MPH was only 1500. The '68 with the 2.73 was about 2400.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Do you have a question ?

Likes Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50

1. How does RPM affect gas mileage in overdrive vehicles?

RPM, or revolutions per minute, refers to the number of times the engine's crankshaft rotates in a minute. In overdrive vehicles, the higher the RPM, the more fuel is being consumed. This is because the engine is working harder to maintain a higher speed. Therefore, higher RPMs can result in lower gas mileage.

2. What is the ideal RPM for maximizing gas mileage in overdrive vehicles?

The ideal RPM for maximizing gas mileage in overdrive vehicles varies depending on the vehicle's make and model. However, most experts recommend keeping the RPM between 2,000 and 3,000 for optimal fuel efficiency. This range allows the engine to work efficiently without consuming excessive fuel.

3. How does overdrive affect gas mileage?

Overdrive is an additional gear in the transmission that allows the engine to run at a lower RPM while maintaining a higher speed. This reduces the strain on the engine and can result in improved gas mileage. However, using overdrive on steep inclines or while towing heavy loads can actually decrease gas mileage.

4. Can driving in overdrive mode save gas?

Yes, driving in overdrive mode can save gas in most situations. By keeping the RPM low, the engine is able to work more efficiently and consume less fuel. However, it is important to use overdrive wisely and adjust accordingly based on driving conditions to achieve maximum fuel efficiency.

5. How can I improve gas mileage in my overdrive vehicle?

Besides using overdrive mode, there are several other ways to improve gas mileage in overdrive vehicles. These include maintaining proper tire pressure, avoiding excessive idling, and keeping up with regular vehicle maintenance. Additionally, practicing good driving habits such as avoiding sudden accelerations and maintaining a steady speed can also help improve gas mileage.

Back