Rubik's cube group element with the smallest order

In summary: I know. And I found it extremely helpful. What I meant by "Now I know" is that, I can find out notation for any position by simply solving it by the cube solver. Actually it was the best thing that happened on the day. Thanks. :)
Ahmed Abdullah
Wikipedia says that largest order of any element of Rubik's cube group is 1260 [PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/e/1/c/e1cff178a2562422492a4140a38f93ff.png. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik's_Cube_group
What about element of smallest order (except the identity element)? I'll appreciate any example with small order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed Abdullah said:
What about element of smallest order (except the identity element)? I'll appreciate any
How about R2, or R2L2U2D2F2B2
If you have an element G of order n, you can easily find an element with an order of any divisor d of n
[tex] G^{n/d} [/tex]

Likes Ahmed Abdullah
Twisting any of the faces 180 degrees will have order 2, the smallest possible non-identity order.

[edit] @willem2 beat me to it :D

jbunniii said:
Twisting any of the faces 180 degrees will have order 2, the smallest possible non-identity order.

Thank you. These are kind of uninteresting. Any interesting examples ... :)

willem2 said:
How about R2, or R2L2U2D2F2B2
If you have an element G of order n, you can easily find an element with an order of any divisor d of n
[tex] G^{n/d} [/tex]
Is it easy to find? For example 10 divides the 1260 (order of
e1cff178a2562422492a4140a38f93ff.png
). How I am going to find an element of order 10 from this ... ??

Ahmed Abdullah said:
Is it easy to find? For example 10 divides the 1260 (order of
e1cff178a2562422492a4140a38f93ff.png
). How I am going to find an element of order 10 from this ... ??
Apply ##(RU^2D^{-1}BD^{-1})## 1260/10 = 126 times. It will be good exercise for your wrists. :-)

Likes Ahmed Abdullah
jbunniii said:
Apply ##(RU^2D^{-1}BD^{-1})## 1260/10 = 126 times. It will be good exercise for your wrists. :)
I am not going to do that :)

jbunniii said:
Apply ##(RU^2D^{-1}BD^{-1})## 1260/10 = 126 times. It will be good exercise for your wrists. :)

But how I'll convert that position to L R U D notation?

Ahmed Abdullah said:
But how I'll convert that position to L R U D notation?
google for "rubiks cube solver"

Likes Ahmed Abdullah
willem2 said:
google for "rubiks cube solver"
Thank you very much. Now I know.

Ahmed Abdullah said:
Thank you very much. Now I know.
This was actually a serious reply. Solvers that can find an optimum solution exist.
I downloaded the solver from http://kociemba.org/cube.htm and pasted in RU2D'BD' 126 times, and it immediately found D' R D2 R' D2 R F D2 F' D' R' D2
to generate the same pattern

Likes Ahmed Abdullah
willem2 said:
This was actually a serious reply.

I know. And I found it extremely helpful. What I meant by "Now I know" is that, I can find out notation for any position by simply solving it by the cube solver. Actually it was the best thing that happened on the day. Thanks. :)

What is a "Rubik's cube group element with the smallest order"?

A Rubik's cube group element with the smallest order refers to the smallest number of moves required to solve a Rubik's cube. It is also known as the God's number, and it is currently believed to be 20 moves.

How is the order of a Rubik's cube group element determined?

The order of a Rubik's cube group element is determined by the number of unique positions that can be achieved on a Rubik's cube using a specific sequence of moves. This number is known as the order of the element.

What is the significance of the smallest order for a Rubik's cube group element?

The smallest order for a Rubik's cube group element, also known as the God's number, is significant because it represents the minimum number of moves required to solve any Rubik's cube. It is considered to be a major milestone in the field of mathematics and Rubik's cube solving.

Has the smallest order for a Rubik's cube group element been proven to be 20 moves?

As of now, the smallest order for a Rubik's cube group element is believed to be 20 moves, but it has not been mathematically proven. However, extensive computer simulations and algorithms have shown that 20 moves is the most likely minimum number of moves required to solve any Rubik's cube.

Is there a possibility that the smallest order for a Rubik's cube group element could be smaller than 20 moves?

While it is highly unlikely, there is a small possibility that the smallest order for a Rubik's cube group element could be smaller than 20 moves. This would require a new algorithm or approach to solving the cube, which has not yet been discovered. However, many experts believe that 20 moves is the absolute minimum number of moves required to solve a Rubik's cube.