How Can I Improve This Ruby Recursive Factorization Code?

In summary, the person is seeking help with a code that factorizes numbers and finds the index of each factor in a list of prime numbers. They are currently stuck on a part of the code and are seeking clarification and suggestions for improvement.
farolero
mabe someone can help me with this code:

i have this code, basically first i factorize for example the number 28 to: [2,2,7] and then i make a list of prime numbers and find the index of each factor in that list, so 2 is prime number with index 0 and 7 prime number with index 2 so it ends up like this: [[0],[0],[2]] with which another recursion would be: [[0],[0],[[0]]] which tranlated to binary would be: 1101101110111

but I am stuck on this:
Ruby:
require 'prime'

def f(n)

Prime.prime_division(n).flat_map { |factor, power| [factor] *   power }

end

n=rand(10000)

puts n

f=f (n)

require 'prime'

@list=Prime.take(10000)

g=[]

j=0

f.each do |j|if j>10

i=f(@list.index(j))

g.push i

i=[]

else

g.push j

end

end

print g

Technology news on Phys.org
farolero said:
mabe someone can help me with this code:

i have this code, basically first i factorize for example the number 28 to: [2,2,7] and then i make a list of prime numbers and find the index of each factor in that list, so 2 is prime number with index 0 and 7 prime number with index 2 so it ends up like this: [[0],[0],[2]] with which another recursion would be: [[0],[0],[[0]]] which tranlated to binary would be: 1101101110111

It is not clear at least to me, what exactly you're trying to accomplish. Giving more explanation about that and putting some comments in your code would be helpful.

Likes jim mcnamara

What is recursive factorization in Ruby?

Recursive factorization is a technique used in Ruby programming to break down a larger problem into smaller subproblems and then solve them recursively until the original problem is solved. It involves defining a method that calls itself until a specific condition is met, making it a powerful tool for solving complex problems.

How does recursive factorization work in Ruby?

In Ruby, recursive factorization works by defining a base case, which is the simplest form of the problem, and then defining a recursive case, which is where the method calls itself with a smaller subproblem until the base case is reached. Once the base case is reached, the method returns a value, which is then used to solve the original problem.

What are the advantages of using recursive factorization in Ruby?

One advantage of using recursive factorization in Ruby is that it allows for a more elegant and concise solution to complex problems. It also helps to avoid code repetition, making it easier to maintain and debug code. Additionally, recursive factorization can lead to a more efficient solution, as it eliminates the need for nested loops.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using recursive factorization in Ruby?

One common mistake to avoid when using recursive factorization in Ruby is the lack of a base case, which can result in an infinite loop. It's also important to ensure that the recursive case is making the problem smaller, otherwise, the method will continue to call itself endlessly. Additionally, it's important to consider the time and space complexity of the recursive solution to ensure it is efficient.

Can recursive factorization be used for any problem in Ruby?

While recursive factorization can be used for many problems in Ruby, it may not be the most efficient solution for all problems. It's important to consider the complexity of the problem and whether a recursive solution will lead to a more efficient and elegant solution. Additionally, some problems may not have a clear base case or may require a different approach altogether.