Running a car on gasoline and hydrogen - the Volvo 740

In summary, the Volvo 740 is a hybrid car that can run on both gasoline and hydrogen. This is made possible by its dual fuel system, which allows the engine to switch between the two fuels. The main benefit of this is increased fuel efficiency and lower emissions. The dual fuel system works through a computer-controlled fuel management system that monitors and adjusts the fuel mixture. Using hydrogen as a fuel is safe due to the car's design and safety features. It can also potentially reduce maintenance and cost in the long run.
Kalljonke
Now this is not a new idea.
I had a thought about running my car on both hydrogen and gasoline.
I bought a cheap car with an engine of good quality. Volvo 740. Mass-produced junk in other words.

I thought that if I built a vessel on the engine manifold. The vessel to contain water and it will be late. It will act as a nuclear power plant where the hot steam in the pressure in the vessel, will spin a turbine. But the difference is the heat coming from the manifold and not uranium.
I do not lose energy from the engine. I take out the heat energy from the engine. Whatever I do, I will not get the engine to take more gasoline.

The turbine will later run a generator that creates about 12 volts.
The 12 volts will split the watermolecules into oxygen and hydrogen in an electrolyte.
The electrolyte should be in a vessel in the Volvo's luggage.

Furthermore, only the hydrogen going to the intake pipe of the engine.

My question:
First: How much energy do I need to split watermolecules?
Second: Is there a material that does not oxidize? Stainless steel rusts up after a few hours.
Third: What is the area of the anode and cathode do I need for me to produce much hydrogen?
Fourth: Will the hydrogen bring down gasoline consumption?

I have to produce more gas than this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Yix1CJBXw&feature=related

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your idea about using hydrogen as a fuel for your car. While this is not a new concept, it is always exciting to see individuals exploring alternative energy sources. I would like to address your questions and provide some insights on your idea.

First, the amount of energy needed to split water molecules depends on the method used. If you are using electrolysis, which is the process of using electricity to split water molecules, you would need about 237 kJ/mol of energy. However, keep in mind that this is the theoretical minimum energy required and in reality, the process would require more energy due to losses.

Second, there are materials that are more resistant to oxidation, such as platinum or gold, but they are also more expensive. It is important to find a balance between cost and durability when selecting materials for your vessel.

Third, the surface area of the anode and cathode would depend on the amount of hydrogen you want to produce. The larger the surface area, the more hydrogen can be produced. However, keep in mind that the efficiency of the process also depends on the distance between the anode and cathode, as well as the concentration of the electrolyte.

Fourth, using hydrogen as a fuel in addition to gasoline can potentially reduce gasoline consumption. However, it is important to note that the efficiency of this process would also depend on the design of your system and the efficiency of the hydrogen fuel cell.

In summary, your idea has potential but it would require further research and experimentation to determine its feasibility and efficiency. Keep exploring and innovating, and perhaps one day we will see more cars running on alternative energy sources.

1. How does a car run on both gasoline and hydrogen?

The Volvo 740 is a hybrid car that has the ability to run on both gasoline and hydrogen. It has a dual fuel system, where the engine can switch between using gasoline and hydrogen as fuel sources.

2. What are the benefits of running a car on both gasoline and hydrogen?

The main benefit of running a car on both gasoline and hydrogen is increased fuel efficiency. Hydrogen is a cleaner and more efficient fuel compared to gasoline, so using both fuels can result in better mileage and lower emissions. Additionally, having the option to switch between fuels provides more flexibility and reduces dependence on one specific fuel source.

3. How does the dual fuel system work in the Volvo 740?

The dual fuel system in the Volvo 740 works by using a computer-controlled fuel management system. This system monitors the engine's performance and adjusts the fuel mixture accordingly. When the car is running on hydrogen, the fuel injectors release precise amounts of hydrogen into the engine, and when running on gasoline, the injectors release gasoline. The system also allows for a smooth transition between the two fuels.

4. Is it safe to use hydrogen as a fuel in a car?

Yes, it is safe to use hydrogen as a fuel in a car. While hydrogen is highly flammable, the Volvo 740's fuel system is designed to safely store and use hydrogen. The car also has safety features, such as sensors and emergency shut-off valves, to prevent any accidents.

5. How does using hydrogen affect the car's maintenance and cost?

Using hydrogen as a fuel can actually reduce the car's maintenance and cost in the long run. Hydrogen is a cleaner fuel, which means it produces less carbon buildup and wear on the engine. This can result in fewer engine repairs and longer engine life. Additionally, since hydrogen is a renewable resource, it can potentially be cheaper than gasoline in the future.