Cauchy's law from Lorentz model

In summary: Does that help?Yes, it does. So ##a'## would equal ##1+\frac {\omega_p^2} {\omega_0^2}## and ##b## would equal ##\frac {\omega_p^2} {\omega_0^4}4\pi^2 c^2 \frac {1} {\lambda^2}##. Then I can use the approximation for ##\sqrt{a + b}## to get the desired form of ##n(\lambda)##.
DannyJ108
New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
Prove that when frequency is small, the Lorentz model for a refractive index in dielectrics becomes Cauchy's empirical law
Relevant Equations
##n^2(\omega) = 1 + \frac {\omega^2_p} {\omega^2_0 - \omega^2}##
##n(\lambda)=A+\frac B {\lambda^2}##
Hello fellow physicists,

I need to prove that when ##\omega << \omega_0##, Lorentz equation for refractive indexes:
turns into Cauchy's empirical law:
I also need to express A and B as a function of the Lorentz model parameters: ##\omega_0## and ##\omega_p##, where:
##\omega_0##: resonant frequency
##\omega_p##: plasma frequency

Any idea on how I could approach and do this?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to approximate ##\large \frac 1 {1-x}## when ##x \ll 1##?

TSny said:
Do you know how to approximate ##\large \frac 1 {1-x}## when ##x \ll 1##?
Yes, I do, but I don't know how I would get that expression with the equation I have. If ##\omega << \omega_0## , the equation would result in:
##n^2(\omega) = 1 + \frac {\omega^2_p} {\omega^2_0}##

DannyJ108 said:
If ##\omega << \omega_0## , the equation would result in:
##n^2(\omega) = 1 + \frac {\omega^2_p} {\omega^2_0}##
Whoa. :wideeyed: That's going too far.

If ##\omega \ll \omega_0##, how does ##\frac {\omega^2} {\omega_0^2}## compare to 1?

If you let ##x = \frac {\omega^2} {\omega_0^2}##, can you rearrange the denominator in ##n^2(\omega)## to get a factor of ##1-x##?

Likes DannyJ108 and vanhees71
DannyJ108 said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that when frequency is small, the Lorentz model for a refractive index in dielectrics becomes Cauchy's empirical law
Relevant Equations:: ##n^2(\omega) = 1 + \frac {\omega^2_p} {\omega^2_0 - \omega^2}##

Hello fellow physicists,

I need to prove that when ##\omega << \omega_0##, Lorentz equation for refractive indexes:
turns into Cauchy's empirical law:
I also need to express A and B as a function of the Lorentz model parameters: ##\omega_0## and ##\omega_p##, where:
##\omega_0##: resonant frequency
##\omega_p##: plasma frequency

Any idea on how I could approach and do this?

Thank you in advance!
@DannyJ108 -- You are required to show more work at PF. Please use the hints provided by @TSny to motivate you to post your best efforts on this problem. Thank you.

Likes TSny
TSny said:
Whoa. :wideeyed: That's going too far.

If ##\omega \ll \omega_0##, how does ##\frac {\omega^2} {\omega_0^2}## compare to 1?

If you let ##x = \frac {\omega^2} {\omega_0^2}##, can you rearrange the denominator in ##n^2(\omega)## to get a factor of ##1-x##?

I have rearranged the equation to get:
##n^2(\omega)=1+\frac {\frac {\omega_p^2} {\omega_0^2}} {1-\frac {\omega^2} {\omega_0^2}}##

Since ##\omega << \omega_0##, ##\frac {\omega^2} {\omega_0^2}## will be smaller than 1, so I can expand that fraction as a Taylor series to get:

##n(\lambda)=\sqrt{1+\frac {\omega_p^2} {\omega_0^2} + \frac {\omega_p^2} {\omega_0^4}4\pi^2 c^2 \frac {1} {\lambda^2}} (eq.1)##

Where I have used: ##\omega=\frac {2\pi c} \lambda##

However, in Cauchy's law, ##n## is not squared:

So I don't know how I could group the terms in ##eq. 1## to establish the ##A## and ##B## coefficients, I do however get the ##\lambda^2## in the denominator, so that's a good thing.

How could I proceed from here?

Last edited:
How would you approximate ##\sqrt{a + b}## assuming ##b \ll a##?

TSny said:
How would you approximate ##\sqrt{a + b}## assuming ##b \ll a##?
But I'm not approximating ##\sqrt{a + b}## I'm approximating:
##\sqrt{1 + a + b}##

DannyJ108 said:
But I'm not approximating ##\sqrt{a + b}## I'm approximating:
##\sqrt{1 + a + b}##
Let ##a' = 1+a##. Then you have ##\sqrt{a' + b}##.

1. What is Cauchy's law from Lorentz model?

Cauchy's law from Lorentz model is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the electric susceptibility, polarization, and electric field in a dielectric material. It is based on the Lorentz model of the atom, which assumes that the electrons in a material are bound to the nuclei by springs.

2. How is Cauchy's law derived from the Lorentz model?

Cauchy's law is derived from the Lorentz model by considering the forces acting on the electrons in a dielectric material. The equation takes into account the restoring force of the springs that bind the electrons to the nuclei, as well as the force of the electric field on the electrons. By balancing these forces, the equation for Cauchy's law can be derived.

3. What is the significance of Cauchy's law in materials science?

Cauchy's law is significant in materials science because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of dielectric materials under the influence of electric fields. This is important for developing new materials with specific electrical properties, as well as for understanding the behavior of materials in electronic devices.

4. How does Cauchy's law relate to other laws in electromagnetism?

Cauchy's law is a specific case of the more general relationship between the electric field, polarization, and electric displacement in a dielectric material, known as the Clausius-Mossotti relation. It is also related to other laws in electromagnetism, such as Gauss's law, which describes the relationship between electric fields and electric charges.

5. What are some applications of Cauchy's law?

Cauchy's law has numerous applications in materials science and engineering. It is used to design and optimize electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors, and to understand the behavior of dielectric materials in these devices. It also has applications in optics, as it can be used to predict the refractive index of materials, which affects the propagation of light through them.