Running up some stairs, kiloWatts

• Thread starter Fringan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary: I've written out. Sorry again :(In summary, the person reached 2.72 meters in 2.72 seconds and used 0.88 kW of energy.
Fringan
Ok, so I'm supposed to run up some stairs and then calculate how much effect (watts) I used.

This is how I did it:

Stairs was 2.52 meters high and 3.5 meters long, my mass is 72 kilos and I ran up the stairs in 2.72 seconds.

Energy for moving up 2.52 meters:

[tex]E_{p} = mgh = 72*9.82*2.52 = 1781.7408[/tex]

[tex]P_{1} = \frac{E_{p}}{t} = \frac{(\frac{72*9.82*2.52}{2.72})}{2.72} \approx 0.66 kW[/tex]

Energy: for moving the 3.5 meters horizontally:

[tex]v = \frac{3.5}{2.72}[/tex]

[tex]E_{k} = \frac{mv^2}{2} = \frac{72(\frac{3.5}{2.72})^2}{2.72}[/tex]

[tex]P_{2} = \frac{E_{k}}{t} \approx 0.22 kW[/tex]

Alltogether: [tex]P_{1} + P_{2} = 0.66 + 0.22 = \underline{0.88 kW}[/tex]

I'm not supposed to think about air friction etc.
Question is ofcourse: Am I anywhere close to answering this in a correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part, why did you divide by 2.72 twice? [itex]P=\frac{\Delta{E}}{\Delta{t}}[/itex]. The second part is tricky. If you ignore non-conservative forces such as friction, the only work you do in the horizontal direction is that which is required for you to accelerate to a certain velocity. Once you reach a given horizontal velocity, because there are no frictional forces (in theory), you do not have to do any more work to continue moving at that velocity. Therefore, you must make some assumption for this part. You can assume that you accelerated at a constant rate in the horizontal direction, and use [itex]\Delta{d}=v_{1}\Delta{t}+\frac{1}{2}a(\Delta{t})^2[/itex] to find a, [itex]F_{net}=ma[/itex] to find net force, then sub that into [itex]W=Fd\cos{\theta}[/itex], where theta would be 0. I get about 88W for just the horizontal motion.

Looking at the math a second time I see I wrote in a number of mistakes, sorry - first time using this LaTeX thing :)

this is how the first P was supposed to be (not dividing with 2.72 twice)

[tex]P_{1} = \frac{E_{p}}{t} = \frac{72*9.82*2.52}{2.72} \approx 0.66 kW[/tex]

And the second E was supposed to be like this (dividing with 2, not 2.72):

[tex]E_{k} = \frac{mv^2}{2} = \frac{72(\frac{3.5}{2.72})^2}{2}[/tex]

Also this very basic class I'm taking doesn't deal with cosinus etc yet so i expected the answer to be pretty much basic and simple (like [tex]mgh[/tex] and [tex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex])

Related to Running up some stairs, kiloWatts

1. What does "running up some stairs" have to do with kiloWatts?

When a person runs up a flight of stairs, they are exerting physical effort and using energy. This energy can be measured in units called kiloWatts (kW), which is a measure of power or energy per unit of time.

2. How is the amount of kiloWatts produced while running up stairs calculated?

The amount of kiloWatts produced while running up stairs is calculated by multiplying the person's weight (in kilograms) by the vertical distance they have climbed (in meters) and then dividing by the time it took to climb the stairs (in seconds). This calculation gives the person's power output in kiloWatts.

3. Is running up stairs a more efficient way to produce kiloWatts compared to other forms of exercise?

In terms of energy efficiency, running up stairs is actually one of the most efficient forms of exercise. This is because it requires a person to use their own body weight to generate power, rather than relying on external equipment or machines. Additionally, running up stairs engages multiple muscle groups and can increase cardiovascular fitness.

4. How many kiloWatts can a person produce while running up stairs?

The amount of kiloWatts a person can produce while running up stairs varies depending on their weight, the vertical distance of the stairs, and their level of fitness. On average, a person can produce between 0.16 and 0.18 kW per kilogram of body weight while running up stairs.

5. Can running up stairs be used as a renewable source of energy?

While running up stairs does produce energy, it is not a viable source of renewable energy on a large scale. This is because it requires human physical effort to generate the energy, and the amount of energy produced is relatively small compared to other renewable sources such as solar or wind power.