Σ free on two dielectric spherical surfaces

In summary, the speaker has found the total dipole moment for a problem, but is having trouble finding the electric field. They believe their electric field for r>2R is correct, but are unsure about their E for r<R. They also have questions about the given problem and are seeking clarification on the expressions for ##\sigma_1## and ##\sigma_2##. The speaker also mentions a figure that shows ##\sigma_1=4\sigma \cos\!\theta## on the inner sphere and ##\sigma_2=\sigmados0## on the outer sphere, which they are unsure how to interpret. A moderator has temporarily closed the thread for clarification.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
σ 1 and σ 2 are pasted to 2 spherical dielectric surfaces w/ radius r and 2R

2.)Calc. E when r<R and r>2R
3.)Calc E when R<r<2R
Relevant Equations
Dipole Potential
I have found the total dipole moment of for this problem but am having trouble finding the electric field.

I believe my electric field when r>2R ( I mistakenly wrote it as r<2R on my work, but it is the E with a coefficient of 2/3) is correct as it fits the equation:
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.06.02 PM.png
I don't believe this formula applies inside the sphere though, just based off experience with other problems because with other problems, I don't get that 2cosθ +sinθ. Which is making me second guess my E for r<R. Mathematically it seems correct but I feel I may be missing something fundamental.

Do my E.F. for r<R and r>2R seem correct?
nxt73qV.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.02.08 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show the complete statement of the problem as given to you. Specifically, do you have analytic expressions for ##\sigma_1## and ##\sigma_2##? The figure shows σ1=4σcosθ on the inner sphere which I can interpret as ##\sigma_1=4\sigma \cos\!\theta## but then I see on the outer sphere σ2=σdos0 which I don't know how to interpret and which reminds of covfefe.

Likes SammyS
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

1. What is the Σ free on two dielectric spherical surfaces?

The Σ free on two dielectric spherical surfaces refers to the total electric charge on the surface of two spherical objects made of different dielectric materials. This charge is influenced by the dielectric constant of the materials and the distance between the two surfaces.

2. How is the Σ free calculated?

The Σ free is calculated using the formula Σ free = Q - Q bound, where Q represents the total charge on the surface and Q bound represents the bound charge due to the polarization of the dielectric materials. This formula takes into account the effect of the dielectric materials on the electric charge.

3. What is the significance of Σ free on two dielectric spherical surfaces?

The Σ free on two dielectric spherical surfaces is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges in dielectric materials. It helps in predicting the electric potential and capacitance of the two spherical objects and their interaction with each other.

4. How does the distance between the two surfaces affect Σ free?

The distance between the two surfaces has a significant impact on Σ free. As the distance decreases, the electric field between the two surfaces increases, causing an increase in the bound charge and a decrease in the Σ free. On the other hand, as the distance increases, the electric field decreases, resulting in a decrease in the bound charge and an increase in the Σ free.

5. What is the role of dielectric constant in Σ free on two dielectric spherical surfaces?

The dielectric constant plays a crucial role in determining the Σ free on two dielectric spherical surfaces. It is a measure of the ability of a material to store electrical energy, and it affects the polarization and bound charge on the surfaces. A higher dielectric constant results in a higher bound charge and a lower Σ free, while a lower dielectric constant has the opposite effect.