S4.6r.11 Solid of revolution about the y axis

In summary, given:$x_1^2-y^2=a^2, \ \ x_2=a+h$$The volume of a washer is given by:dV=\pi\left((a+h)^2-\left(y^2+a^2\right)\right)\,dy.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Given
$$x_1^2 -y^2=a^2, \ \ x_2=a+h$$
Or
$$x_1=\sqrt{a^2+y^2}$$

Find
Volume about the $y$-axis

So...

$$\pi\int_{a}^{h} \left(x_2^2-x_1^2\right)\,dy$$

Actually I am clueless?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that how the problem is given in your textbook?

Well, that's clear as floodwaters, my friend! (Nod)

Can you humor me for a little bit here and give the problem exactly as stated? (Mmm)

Okay, now we're in bidness...and your inclination to use the washer method is a good one...but you know, when I was a student, I like to work problems like these more than one way (we could use the shell method as well) both for the prctice and as a means of checking my result.

Let's begin with the washer method. The value of an element (a washer) is given by:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi(R^2-r^2)\)

where $R$ is the outer radius and $r$ is the inner radius. Can you identify these two radii?

I assume $R$ is the major radius or $x_2$
And $r$ is the minor radius or $x_1$

No I'm not sure?

This thing has $a$ and $h$ in it😠😠

karush said:
I assume $R$ is the major radius or $x_2$
And $r$ is the minor radius or $x_1$

No I'm not sure?

This thing has $a$ and $h$ in it😠😠

First, it is often very helpful to draw a sketch:

View attachment 5539

Now, we see the outer radius is:

\(\displaystyle R=a+h\)

and the inner radius is:

\(\displaystyle r=x\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi\left((a+h)^2-x^2\right)\,dy\) (I forgot to include the thickness of the washer before)

Now, the expression $a+h$ is a constant, so we don't need to do anything with that. However, since we will be integrating along the $y$-axis, we need to express $x^2$ in terms of $y$...(Thinking)

Attachments

• karush_revolve.png
    karush_revolve.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 55
Sorry,I got lost in this,

The bk ans is $$\frac{4}{3}(2ah+h^2)^{3/2}$$

However $$x=\sqrt{y}$$

Since we are given:

\(\displaystyle x^2-y^2=a^2\)

we then know:

\(\displaystyle x^2=y^2+a^2\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi\left((a+h)^2-\left(y^2+a^2\right)\right)\,dy\)

Now, you need to find the limits of integration, which will be the $y$-coordinates of the intersections of the line:

\(\displaystyle x=a+h\)

and the curve:

\(\displaystyle x^2-y^2=a^2\)

Can you proceed? :)

$$dV=\pi\left((a+h)^2-\left(y^2+a^2\right)\right)\,dy$$dV
$$\pi\int_{-a}^{a}\left((a+h)^2-\left(y^2+a^2\right)\right) \,dy$$

Don't know what $h$ is?

Last edited:
I get different limits of integration. we have:

\(\displaystyle y^2=x^2-a^2\)

Now, substituting $c=a+h$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y=\pm\sqrt{h(2a+h)}\)

And then using the even function rule, we may write:

\(\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_0^{\sqrt{h(2a+h)}} \left((a+h)^2-\left(y^2+a^2\right)\right)\,dy\)

$h$ is just a constant, that is greater than the constant $a$. :)

1. What is a solid of revolution about the y-axis?

A solid of revolution about the y-axis is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional curve around the y-axis. This results in a shape with circular cross-sections and a hole in the center.

2. How is the volume of a solid of revolution about the y-axis calculated?

The volume of a solid of revolution about the y-axis can be calculated using the formula V = π∫(f(y))^2 dy, where f(y) is the equation of the curve and the integral is taken over the range of y values.

3. What is the difference between a solid of revolution about the y-axis and the x-axis?

The main difference is the axis of rotation. A solid of revolution about the y-axis is formed by rotating a curve around the y-axis, while a solid of revolution about the x-axis is formed by rotating a curve around the x-axis. This results in different shapes and formulas for calculating volume.

4. What are some real-life applications of solids of revolution about the y-axis?

Solids of revolution about the y-axis can be found in many real-life objects, such as cans, bottles, and cones. They are also used in engineering and architecture for creating curved structures, such as domes and arches.

5. What are some common curves used to create solids of revolution about the y-axis?

Some common curves used in solids of revolution about the y-axis include parabolas, hyperbolas, and exponential curves. These curves can be rotated to create a variety of shapes with different volumes.