Sad news for Earth in several billion years

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of living forever and the dynamic nature of the universe. The link provided is to a paper on the scale of several billion years. The thread title has been updated to reflect the content of the paper.
Count Iblis
http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.4031"

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Count Iblis said:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.4031"
... on the scale of several billion years.

Given the nature of this forum, it might be better to have a more descriptive thread title, and some actual text rather than a bare link.

PS. I don't expect to live forever; and I don't find that "sad". Neither do I think there's anything especially "sad" about the fact we live in a dynamic universe, where things change, and nothing lasts forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

sylas said:
... on the scale of several billion years.

Given the nature of this forum, it might be better to have a more descriptive thread title, and some actual text rather than a bare link.

I updated the thread title to reflect the content of the arXiv paper that Count is linking to.

Meh. We'll be lucky if we're even still here in 10,000 years, never mind several billion.

Related to Sad news for Earth in several billion years

What is the sad news for Earth in several billion years?

The sad news for Earth in several billion years is that the sun will expand into a red giant, engulfing and destroying the Earth in the process.

When will this event happen?

This event is estimated to happen in about 5 billion years.

What will cause the sun to expand into a red giant?

The sun will expand due to the depletion of hydrogen fuel in its core, causing it to collapse and heat up. This will result in the sun expanding and becoming a red giant.

What will happen to other planets in our solar system?

As the sun expands, it will also engulf and destroy the inner planets (including Earth) in our solar system. The outer planets may survive, but will likely be pushed out to farther orbits.

Is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening?

No, this is a natural process of a star's life cycle and cannot be prevented. However, humans may have the technology to move to a different planet or solar system before this event occurs.