Safety regulations, Politics and Nuclear production

It's concerning that such practices were allowed in such a high-risk and sensitive environment.In summary, the conversation discusses the safety concerns and incidents at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, particularly related to nuclear weapons testing and production. There is a consensus that the safety issues are genuine and should not be ignored, and that the use of bonuses to meet quotas is a reckless practice.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Since many workers were exposed to unsafe radiation levels and some ingested Uranium, it looks like hard science to me.

Likes 1oldman2
I do not understand the use of the term "political posturing". for what purpose?. The safety issues brought up in the article are very real. Most if not nuclear accidents have been caused by the lack of appreciation for the factors that result in a criticality incident i.e., a release of a burst of radiation and in particular neutrons when too much fissionable material is accumulated in a given location. The fact that a room was found to contain a cache of Plutonium the form an quantity of which was at best sketchy was criminal in my opinion. The use of bonuses to meet quotas is stupid in a situation where attention to detail and procedure is so very important and where you want to make sure no short cuts are taken.

gleem said:
I do not understand the use of the term "political posturing". for what purpose?.
I should know better than to use the word "political" in a thread, (especially an opening post) my apologies for that misdirection. What I had in mind at the time I wrote that was, the Politics of personal power and wealth vs. Safety ("McMillan, a nuclear physicist and weapons designer with government-funded compensation exceeding a million dollars a year, responded that he had believed the problems could be solved while that lab kept operating. He was "reluctant" to shut it down, Miller recalled. But as the call proceeded, he became open to her view that the risks were too high, she added. So on McMillan’s order, the facility was shut within a day, with little public notice.") This was not a reference to any particular administrations plans to modernize or upgrade Nuclear Weapons on my part.:wink:
I did find the entire five part series and related links very interesting, I don't recall ever seeing so much information on LANL, https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/12/f19/Keilers- LANL PF-4 Seismic Safety.pdf was particularly interesting from a Seismic hazard perspective.
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017...aboratory-takes-hidden-toll-america-s-arsenal
https://apps.publicintegrity.org/nuclear-negligence/
https://apps.publicintegrity.org/nuclear-negligence/about-the-series/

gleem said:
The safety issues brought up in the article are very real. Most if not nuclear accidents have been caused by the lack of appreciation for the factors that result in a criticality incident i.e., a release of a burst of radiation and in particular neutrons when too much fissionable material is accumulated in a given location. The fact that a room was found to contain a cache of Plutonium the form an quantity of which was at best sketchy was criminal in my opinion.
I agree with your opinion completely, I'm surprised this story ever saw the light of day.

gleem said:
The use of bonuses to meet quotas is stupid in a situation where attention to detail and procedure is so very important and where you want to make sure no short cuts are taken.
A recipe for disaster, guaranteed.

1. What are the safety regulations in place for nuclear production?

The safety regulations for nuclear production are set by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) in the United States. These regulations focus on preventing accidents, monitoring radiation levels, and managing nuclear waste. They also require regular inspections and assessments to ensure compliance.

2. How does politics play a role in nuclear production?

Politics can play a significant role in nuclear production as it involves government funding and oversight. The decisions made by political leaders can impact the development of new nuclear facilities, the regulation of existing ones, and the handling of nuclear waste. Political agendas and priorities can also influence the direction and funding of nuclear research and development.

3. What are the potential risks of nuclear production?

The potential risks of nuclear production include accidents and meltdowns, radiation exposure, and the production of nuclear waste. These risks can have severe consequences for human health and the environment, making it crucial to have strict safety regulations and protocols in place.

4. How is nuclear production monitored for safety?

Nuclear production is monitored for safety through a combination of regulations, inspections, and safety protocols. The NRC and other regulatory bodies ensure that nuclear facilities comply with safety regulations and undergo regular inspections. Additionally, nuclear power plants have their own safety protocols in place and are constantly monitored for any potential issues.

5. What measures are in place to prevent nuclear accidents?

To prevent nuclear accidents, there are various safety measures in place, including strict regulations, regular inspections, and safety protocols. Nuclear facilities also have multiple layers of safety systems, such as backup power supplies and containment structures, to prevent accidents or mitigate their consequences. Additionally, ongoing research and development in nuclear technology aim to improve safety and prevent accidents in the future.