Sailboat Direction - Kinematics in Two Directions

In summary, the sailboat is initially traveling east at 5.1m/s and experiences a gust of wind with an acceleration of 0.80 m/s2 at 40° north of east. After 6 seconds, the boat's direction is calculated to be 19° north of east. However, this answer may be incorrect due to potential misinterpretation of the angle of reference. The correct answer is likely simply east, as the boat has stopped once the gust subsides.
bimbambaby

Homework Statement

A sailboat is traveling east at 5.1m/s . A sudden gust of wind gives the boat an acceleration = (0.80 m/s2}, 40° north of east).

What is the boat's direction 6s later when the gust subsides?

Homework Equations

Vf = V0 + at

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve I simply created X and Y components of the velocity after those six seconds, in order to use the arctan function to then find my angle:

Vfx = Vox+at
Vfx = 5.1 m/s + (6s)* (0.80cos40) = 8.777013327 m/s (x)

Vfy = 0 m/s +(6s) * (0.80sin40) = 3.085380526 m/s (y)

To find the angle, I then simply input these values into the arctan function:

tan-1(vy/vx) = θ
tan-1(3.085/8.777) = 19°, north of east

This answer, however, is incorrect. Do you have any advice on my approach, or anything that I may be negating my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok here is just a suggestion. Try using 50 as the angle and recalculate the velocities. This I think they were trying to say that the angle of the wind gust it makes with the north is 40 degrees.

I appreicate that, but there is a first part of the question that asks for the velocity after 7.7 seconds, in which I used 40° as my angle of reference. I arrived at the correct answer for that. It also says "north of east," which I am sure means north of the negative x-axis (east). I believe that were it phrased otherwise (east of north), that would mean 40° east (to the left) of the positive y-axis, so I don't believe the angles are the issue, unless someone else feels otherwise.

No, "40 degrees N of east" means starting from the east (the x-axis) measure toward the north (counter clockwise) 40 degrees. That is what bimbambaby is doing.

Halls of Ivy -

Any idea why the method I employed wouldn't work? I've calculated my velocity components correctly, and that should provide the correct answer, in theory.

The situation is not like of projectile or free fall.
Once the engine and the wind stops, we assume it to be stopped(maybe it takes a few seconds)

I think the question ask is "where", in direction of x and y.

Azizlwl -

I'm not quite sure that I follow your meaning? We're determining the direction of the sailboat in terms of angle relative to the negative (east) x-axis. That is the directional component of the vector.

We assume the engine is giving the boat a constant velocity due east.
The wind too giving a force that equivalent to acceleration.

We can find the position of the boat after 6s.

After the gust subsides surely the boat is heading east.

What is sailboat direction?

Sailboat direction refers to the orientation or heading of a sailboat in relation to the direction of the wind and the water. It is an important aspect of sailing that affects the speed and maneuverability of the boat.

What is kinematics in two directions?

Kinematics in two directions refers to the study of the motion of an object in two dimensions, such as the horizontal and vertical directions. In the context of sailboats, it involves analyzing the movement of the boat in both the horizontal direction (forward or backward) and the vertical direction (up or down).

How does the wind affect sailboat direction?

The wind is the primary driving force for a sailboat and plays a crucial role in determining its direction. The direction and strength of the wind will determine the angle at which the sailboat can travel and the amount of force that propels it forward.

What factors influence sailboat direction?

Apart from the wind, other factors that can influence sailboat direction include the shape and size of the sails, the shape and weight distribution of the boat, and the actions of the sailor, such as steering and adjusting the sails.

How can sailboat direction be optimized for speed?

To optimize sailboat direction for speed, sailors need to carefully adjust the sails and rudder to catch the most favorable wind and water currents. They also need to constantly monitor and adjust the boat's trim and weight distribution to minimize drag and maximize the boat's efficiency in moving through the water.