Sales vs. Design....Ohm's Law vs. Power

• Thread starter bramdam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Power
In summary, the sales guys are correct, the voltage is lower thus the amperage is lower. Although the heater will not function optimally, it will not be damaged.
bramdam
We manufacture heaters. Simple heaters that are designed for a specific voltage, for a specific wattage, thus a fixed resistance and the corresponding amperage. However, sales guys preach that it is OK to hook up the heater to a lower voltage without damaging it. They claim the voltage is lower thus the amperage is lower so although the heater will not function optimally, it will not be damaged.

My head says that is correct for Ohm's law but if you look at the Power equation the amperage would be more at the lower voltage thus a problem. Our design uses the power equation when building the heater circuit thus the higher wattage produces the lower amperage. But when designing dual circuit heaters we always design to the higher voltage which does not jive with the power equation but makes sense for Ohm's Law.

I see a fixed resistance, although producing heat, the resistance is what it is.I have two groups of people living under two separate equations and I am looking for clarity on which one I should follow for our product.

Engineering news on Phys.org
At fixed resistance, lower voltage means lower current and lower power. The power equation doesn't apply because the power isn't constant.

Likes russ_watters, Jeff Rosenbury and berkeman
Safety before power.

With a fixed resistance the power will drop with voltage. That's safe, but potentially a little cool.

Power = Voltage times Current. (P=VI) Since we know from Ohm's law that I=V/R; P=VV/R or

P = V2/R

So both equations are correct. But the power level is only for the rated voltage.

bramdam said:
They claim the voltage is lower thus the amperage is lower so although the heater will not function optimally, it will not be damaged.

They are correct, although the resistance is also "a bit" lower since the wire is cooler.

bramdam said:
I see a fixed resistance, although producing heat, the resistance is what it is.

As I said above, the resistance is "a bit" less when the element is cooler.

But, realize the resistance does not become low enough to get to the original "hot" amperage because that amperage would produce the same temperature as it did initially.

You need to think of the power equation as simply expressing what current you would need at a particular voltage to dissipate a certain power.

Ohm's law rules the day,
in that it tells you the relationship between the voltage and current for a fixed resistance.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
I think part of this misunderstanding is that people think the device will always use the same POWER, as if the POWER is constant. -- but that is not the case. The devices resistance is ( essentially) constant in this case, and the voltage of supply is constant - those two parameters define all of that then happens. The POWER equation is the resulting power ... we do not start wiht power and back calculate the other values.

1. What is the difference between sales and design?

Sales is the process of selling a product or service to a customer, while design is the creation and planning of a product or service.

2. How does Ohm's Law relate to power?

Ohm's Law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which energy is consumed or produced. The relationship between Ohm's Law and power is that power can be calculated by multiplying the current by the voltage, or by squaring the current and multiplying it by the resistance.

3. Which is more important in a product, sales or design?

Both sales and design are equally important in a product. Without a well-designed product, it may not appeal to customers and therefore not generate sales. On the other hand, without effective sales strategies, even the best-designed product may not reach its target market.

4. Can Ohm's Law and power be applied to any product?

Yes, Ohm's Law and power can be applied to any product that involves electricity. This includes electronic devices, appliances, and even power grids.

5. How can understanding sales and design principles benefit a scientist?

Understanding sales and design principles can benefit a scientist by helping them create products or services that are not only scientifically sound, but also marketable and appealing to consumers. This can lead to successful commercialization of scientific innovations and increase their impact on society.