Samuel Johnson, orator extraordinaire or pompous windbag?

• Thread starter tomishere
  • Start date
In summary, Samuel Johnson was a pompous windbag who wrote in a verbose style that was not common in the 18th century.
tomishere
In the 18th century it was apparently the syle to be as verbose as possible. More so than later and previous eras. Why? Dr Johnson, writer of the first english dictionary was (perhaps) the preeminent example of this style. I read over his preface to shakespeare and noticed that entire paragraphs can be summed up in 10 word sentences. For example, he makes a point and then consequently illustrates that point in analogy --but then he provides another analogy, and another and another etc etc, ...all while using these 10 syllable words that just weren't in the vernacular of that era (not least today). This is what makes me suspect he was a bit of a pompous windbag. I hit on this after watching this black adder portrayal of him that was hilarious and then later i thought, well i wonder how true this is? What do you guys think?
(heres the black adder clip, it really makes the point well i think)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I read your thread title as "Samuel Jackson".:redface:

"SAY WHAT ONE MORE GODD---N TIME!, M-F-!" I wouldn't want to tell him he's verbose, would you? :smile:

Johnson - pompous windbag

But not because he was the author of an English dictionary.

Daniel Webster wrote the American English dictionary and suffered no such afflictions.

In fact, when fellow Whigs saw William Henry Harrison's draft of his inauguration speech, a speech inspired by his boyhood memories of Plutarch and Roman history, they were so horrified by its length and aimlessness that they enlisted Webster (he who wisely struck so many 'u's from the American English language) to go to work striking out the worst of Harrison's inauguration speech. After hours of work, an exhausted Webster reported at a dinner party that he had "just killed seventeen Roman proconsuls as dead as smelts".

In spite of Webster's efforts, Harrison's inauguration speech still holds the record for the longest in American history at one hour and 45 minutes - and he delivered in his speech in the middle of a snow storm, no less (I wonder how many lives Webster saved that day?). Yet Harrison also holds the record for the shortest Presidency in American history at 30 days, 12 hours, and 30 minutes.

Somewhere in there is surely a message about the dangers of verbosity.

I would be interested to see a list of the "10 syllable words" you found in Johnson's preface to Shakespeare. I don't expect it will be a long list.

Nice link. Dr. House never looks better than when wearing rouge and a curly wig.

Related to Samuel Johnson, orator extraordinaire or pompous windbag?

1. Who was Samuel Johnson?

Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) was an English writer, poet, and literary critic. He is best known for his dictionary, A Dictionary of the English Language, and his essays and works of fiction.

2. What made Samuel Johnson an "orator extraordinaire"?

Johnson was known for his great skill in public speaking and his ability to captivate an audience with his eloquence and wit. He was also a master of rhetoric and persuasion, making him a highly sought-after speaker in his time.

3. Was Johnson really as pompous as he is often portrayed?

While Johnson's writing and personality may come across as pompous to some, he was also known for his humility and kindness towards others. He was a complex figure, and it is important to consider the historical context in which he lived before making judgments about his character.

4. What contributions did Samuel Johnson make to literature?

Johnson's contributions to literature are vast and significant. He wrote influential essays, poetry, and works of fiction, such as The Rambler and The Lives of the Most Eminent English Poets. He also played a pivotal role in standardizing the English language through his dictionary.

5. How did Samuel Johnson's work impact society?

Johnson's works had a profound influence on society and the literary world. His dictionary helped to establish a standard form of the English language, and his essays and works of fiction were widely read and discussed. He also paved the way for future writers and thinkers through his contributions to literary criticism and his ideas on morality and ethics.