SAT physics question -- Flag on a bicycle being ridden in the wind....

In summary, the vector representing the wind on the flag is pointing southwest from the bike rider's position.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

A girl is riding a bicycle at 15 miles per hour due north. A steady wind is blowing at 15 miles per hour from the east. A flag mounted on the bicycle will be stretched out toward the
(A) west (B) south (C) southwest (D) southeast (E) northeast

Homework Equations

Vector addition

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew an arrow pointing north then from its head i drew an arrow pointing east
I got E for the resultant vector. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
YMMMA said:

Homework Statement

A girl is riding a bicycle at 15 miles per hour due north. A steady wind is blowing at 15 miles per hour from the east. A flag mounted on the bicycle will be stretched out toward the
(A) west (B) south (C) southwest (D) southeast (E) northeast

Homework Equations

Vector addition

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew an arrow pointing north then from its head i drew an arrow pointing east
I got E for the resultant vector. Is that right?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

If the wind is "blowing from the east", the vector that represents it will not be pointing toward the east. Which way would it point?

Also, you should probably draw a free body diagram (FBD) of the flag to help you reason this problem out. Do you know how to do that? Show the forces of the two wind components on the flag...

Ahhhh, It says ‘from the east’ that means its directed west. Ugh, I should read well next time.
Thats how i draw the FBD. So, the answer is C.

Attachments

• 487FEA8E-3819-4F80-904B-7E40F55CF107.jpeg
    487FEA8E-3819-4F80-904B-7E40F55CF107.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 346
The correct answer is indeed C, but your vectors are still not quite right. You want the vectors to represent the wind forces on the flag. When the bike rider rides north, which was is the apparent wind blowing on the flag? :smile:

Oh, its west of south..
Do you mean the vector of the wind is from the tail of the north vector and directed west?

YMMMA said:
Oh, its west of south..
What's west of south?
YMMMA said:
Do you mean the vector of the wind is from the tail of the north vector and directed west?
I'm not sure what that means, sorry.

You have drawn the horizontal wind force vector correctly. Since the wind is coming from the east, the wind force from it is toward the west.

Since the bicycle is moving toward the north, the apparent wind force on the flag from that motion is pointing toward the ________

Sorry, I mean south of west.
I understood it. Now, I can imagine it pointing toward the south as a result of the motion.
Thanks a lot!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the relationship between the flag and the wind in this SAT physics question?

The flag and the wind have a direct relationship in this question. The flag's movement is affected by the force of the wind, and the wind's direction and speed determine how the flag will move.

2. How does the bicycle rider affect the flag's movement in this question?

The bicycle rider also plays a role in the flag's movement. As the rider pedals the bicycle, their movement creates a force that can either aid or counteract the force of the wind on the flag.

3. What is the significance of using this scenario in a SAT physics question?

This scenario is used to test a student's understanding of forces, specifically how they interact in a real-world situation. The flag, wind, and bicycle rider all represent different forces, and understanding their relationships is crucial in solving this question.

4. What other concepts are being tested in this SAT physics question?

Aside from forces, this question may also be testing a student's knowledge of vectors, as the wind and the rider's movement both have a direction and magnitude that impact the flag's movement.

5. How should I approach solving this SAT physics question?

To solve this question, it is important to first identify all the forces at play and their directions. Then, using principles of physics, such as Newton's Laws, and vector addition, you can determine the resulting motion of the flag. It is also helpful to draw a diagram to visually represent the forces and their directions.