SAT scores and HS GPA when transferring

In summary, the conversation discusses the weight of SAT and high school GPA for transferring applicants to college, and whether previous bad performance is forgiven. It is clarified that for transferring from community college, high school performance does not affect admission to university. However, for transferring from a university, high school GPA and SAT scores may be considered if the applicant has less than 24 credits.
Entanglement
Hi,
I was wondering if I apply for a college as a transferring applicant will my SAT and HS GPA weigh much? Do colleges forgive previous bad performance?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean from community college, then anything you did in high school has no effect on your admission into university

Maylis said:
If you mean from community college, then anything you did in high school has no effect on your admission into university

Not from CC, a university in fact. Do you mean they won't even require the SAT 1 neither the SAT 2 score?

They do consider your high school GPA and SAT scores if you have less than 24 credits usually. If you have more, they couldn't care less regardless of where you transfer from, as long as it's an accredited college or university.

1. What impact do SAT scores have on transferring to a new school?

SAT scores are one of the factors that admissions committees consider when evaluating transfer applications. They provide a standardized measure of a student's academic abilities and can give insight into their potential for success at the new school.

2. How important is my high school GPA for transferring?

While SAT scores are often given more weight in the transfer process, high school GPA is still an important factor. It provides a cumulative measure of a student's academic performance over several years and can give the admissions committee an idea of their work ethic and dedication to their studies.

3. Can I still transfer if my SAT scores and GPA are not as high as I would like?

Yes, it is still possible to transfer even if your SAT scores and GPA are not as high as you would like. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, such as extracurricular activities, personal essays, and letters of recommendation, in addition to academic performance.

4. Do I need to submit SAT scores and high school GPA if I have already completed a certain number of college credits?

This varies by school, so it is important to check the specific transfer requirements for the school you are interested in. Some schools may waive the requirement for SAT scores and high school GPA if you have completed a certain number of college credits, while others may still require them.

5. Can I use my SAT scores and high school GPA from several years ago for transferring?

Again, this varies by school, but most will accept SAT scores and high school GPA from within the past 5 years. If your scores and GPA are older than that, it is best to check with the specific school to see if they will still consider them in your transfer application.