Satellite orbiting the Earth (heat radiation)

In summary, the mass of the satellite is 750g and its volume is calculated to be approximately 100 cm^3. The function to integrate is still uncertain, but the equation for heat radiated away by the satellite is expressed as ##E = mc\Delta T##, where ##E## represents the heat and ##m## is the satellite's mass.
glorfindel1000
Homework Statement
Satellite is orbiting earth and is heated by sun to 323 K. To what temperature satellite cools down during its 45 min cycle in shadow? Satellite is 1 m radius and 2 mm thick copper. Emissivity is 0,75. Space temperature is assumed to be 0 K.(hint. Write a formula to heat change in function of time, you have to integrate)
Relevant Equations
\begin{align*}
\frac{dQ}{dt} &= e \sigma A T^4 \text{ or } \frac{dQ}{dt} = e * \sigma * A * T^4 \\
\text{(maybe)}E &= cm \Delta T \\
A &= 4 * \pi * r^2 \\
\sigma &= 5,67 \times 10^{-8}{\rm W/(m^2 * K^4)} \\
e &= 0,75
\end{align*}
Mass of a satellite is 750g(##m = \rho V = 8,96 \frac{g}{cm^3}\cdot (\frac{4\pi(100cm)^3}{3} -\frac{4\pi(99,9cm)^3}{3}) = \approx 750g =0,75kg##)

I am not sure what to integrate. I solved T there but it seems far stretched
$$T =\sqrt[4]{\frac{dQ}{dt}\frac{1}{e\sigma A}} $$

How to get the function to integrate is basically my problem. I changed that dt to other side

##dQ = e\sigma AT^4dt##

and integrated it from 0 to 2700.

##Q = \bigg/_{\!\!\! 0}^{\,2700}e\sigma AT^4t##

Not really sure if that helps. What to do with Q then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use two # characters like # # (minus the space) to delimit an inline latex statement. Use $ $ to delimit a separate block. Below the bottom left of the window you are typing in, there is a link for more latex help. I edited your post to fix latex. Please make sure I did not cause more problems.

Likes berkeman
I fixed the LaTeX in the relevant equations section as well. Separate equations were running together, which made them confusing to understand.

In your second relevant equation, ##E = mc\Delta T##, what does the ##E## stand for? How is it related to the heat radiated away by the satellite?

Likes berkeman

1. What is a satellite orbiting the Earth?

A satellite orbiting the Earth is an object that is launched into space and continuously revolves around the Earth due to the force of gravity. Satellites can be natural, such as the Moon, or human-made, used for various purposes such as communication, navigation, and scientific research.

2. How does a satellite orbiting the Earth stay in orbit?

A satellite stays in orbit by balancing the gravitational pull of the Earth with its own forward motion. This is known as centripetal force. The speed and distance of the satellite's orbit are carefully calculated to maintain this balance and prevent it from falling back to Earth or drifting off into space.

3. Does a satellite orbiting the Earth emit heat radiation?

Yes, a satellite orbiting the Earth does emit heat radiation. This is because all objects with a temperature above absolute zero (-273.15 degrees Celsius) emit thermal radiation. The amount of heat radiation emitted by a satellite depends on its temperature and the materials it is made of.

4. How is heat radiation from a satellite orbiting the Earth measured?

Heat radiation from a satellite can be measured using thermal infrared sensors. These sensors detect the infrared radiation emitted by objects, including satellites, and convert it into temperature readings. Scientists can use this data to monitor the temperature of satellites and track any changes that may affect their performance.

5. Can heat radiation from a satellite orbiting the Earth affect the Earth's climate?

The amount of heat radiation emitted by a satellite is relatively small compared to the heat energy received from the Sun. Therefore, it is unlikely that heat radiation from satellites would significantly impact the Earth's climate. However, satellites do play a crucial role in gathering data that helps us understand and monitor the Earth's climate and make informed decisions about environmental issues.