Scalar electron-muon scattering

In summary, for the scattering of a scalar electron and a spin half muon, the Feynman diagram is correctly labeled and the invariant amplitude is given by $M~=~\bar{u}_f \,\epsilon^\mu \, \frac{-i \eta_{\mu\nu}}{k^2}\, \epsilon_\nu \, v_i$. The spin-averaged square of the invariant amplitude is given by $|M|^2~=~\frac{1}{4} \, \text{Tr}\left( \frac{1}{k^4} \, \epsilon^\mu \, \eta_{\mu\nu} \,\epsilon_\nu \, \epsilon_\rho
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

Consider the scattering of a scalar electron and a spin half muon, draw and label the feynman diagram for this process.
write down the invariant amplitude M and the spin average |M|^2, use the trace notation.

Homework Equations

Photon propagator
$$\dfrac {-i\eta_{\mu\nu}}{k^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I have written down what I think the correct labelled feynman diagram is, apologies that its attached as a photo, I did draw it in latex but it doesn't want to compile on here. It's possible I havn't gone about this the correct way, I can't find any examples of scalar particles scattering with spin half particles so I just tried it the only way I could think of. I'm not sure how to write the spin average matrix in terms of traces, I know it should have something to do with the fact that are multiple spin states for the initial and final states of the muon (two) but I don't know how to rwite this down mathematically. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• DSC_0170.JPG
    DSC_0170.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
A:The Feynman diagram looks correct. The invariant amplitude is$$M~=~\bar{u}_f \,\epsilon^\mu \, \frac{-i \eta_{\mu\nu}}{k^2}\, \epsilon_\nu \, v_i$$where we have used the photon propagator and $\epsilon^\mu$ and $\epsilon_\nu$ are the polarization vectors of the incoming and outgoing photons.The spin-averaged square of the invariant amplitude is given by $$ |M|^2~=~\frac{1}{4}\sum\limits_{s_i,s_f} \left| \bar{u}_{s_f} \,\epsilon^\mu \, \frac{-i \eta_{\mu\nu}}{k^2}\, \epsilon_\nu \, v_{s_i} \right|^2 $$where $s_i$ and $s_f$ denote the initial and final spin states of the muon, respectively. Using the trace notation, $$|M|^2~=~\frac{1}{4}\sum\limits_{s_i,s_f} \text{Tr}\left(\bar{u}_{s_f} \,\epsilon^\mu \, \frac{-i \eta_{\mu\nu}}{k^2}\, \epsilon_\nu \, v_{s_i} \, \bar{v}_{s_i} \,\epsilon_\rho \, \frac{-i \eta_{\rho\sigma}}{k^2}\, \epsilon^\sigma \, u_{s_f}\right)$$$$ = \frac{1}{4} \, \text{Tr}\left( \frac{1}{k^4} \, \epsilon^\mu \, \eta_{\mu\nu} \,\epsilon_\nu \, \epsilon_\rho \, \eta_{\rho\sigma} \, \epsilon^\sigma \right).

What is scalar electron-muon scattering?

Scalar electron-muon scattering is a type of scattering process in particle physics where an electron and a muon exchange a scalar particle (a particle with zero spin) and are deflected from their original paths.

What is the purpose of studying scalar electron-muon scattering?

Studying scalar electron-muon scattering allows scientists to better understand the fundamental forces and interactions between particles at a subatomic level. It also provides insight into the properties and behavior of scalar particles.

How is scalar electron-muon scattering different from other types of scattering?

Scalar electron-muon scattering is different from other types of scattering, such as electromagnetic or strong force scattering, because it involves the exchange of a scalar particle rather than a vector particle (a particle with spin).

What are some potential applications of understanding scalar electron-muon scattering?

Understanding scalar electron-muon scattering can have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, particle accelerator design, and the development of new technologies based on subatomic particles.

How is scalar electron-muon scattering studied in experiments?

Scalar electron-muon scattering is studied using high-energy particle accelerators, where electrons and muons are accelerated and collided with each other. The resulting data can then be analyzed to study the characteristics and behavior of the scalar particles involved.