Scalar Moment around a point due to a force

In summary, the moment of a force in two dimensions can be calculated using the scalar method MO=Fd, where F is the magnitude of the force and d is the perpendicular distance from the line of force to the point where the moment is being considered. In this problem, the moment about point O is being calculated using a force with a magnitude of 580 lb and a distance of 2.5 ft. Using the angles and distances, the x and y components of the force are calculated to be 410 lb each. After several attempts at solving the problem, it was determined that the correct solution is (2.5+1.77)*410=1791.7 lb-ft.
Marvels

Homework Statement

In two dimensions, the moment of a force can be calculated using the scalar method, MO=Fd, where F is the magnitude of the force and d is the perpendicular distance from the line of force to the point where the moment is being considered.

Using the scalar method, calculate the moment about O due to F.

Homework Equations

MEng_SD_4-4_Intro.jpg
[/B]
r = 2.50 ft and F has magnitude F = 580 lb.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the x and y components of the force, each being 410 lb, due to the angle being 45
Also using the angles I calculated the x and y distances being 1.77 and then 1.77 + 2.5?

I do the f*d multiplied and added up for 1.77*410*2 and it's wrong
I then divided that by 2, and it was wrong.
I then did the (2.55+1.77*410)+(1.77*410) and it says that's wrong too.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
NEVERMIND I SOLVED IT, SORRY

1. What is a scalar moment around a point?

A scalar moment around a point is a measure of the turning effect of a force around a specific point. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force.

2. How is a scalar moment different from a vector moment?

A scalar moment only takes into account the magnitude of the force and the perpendicular distance, while a vector moment also considers the direction of the force and the direction of rotation.

3. What is the formula for calculating the scalar moment around a point?

The formula for calculating the scalar moment around a point is M = F * d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the scalar moment around a point?

The direction of the force does not affect the scalar moment around a point. The magnitude of the moment will be the same regardless of the direction of the force, as long as the perpendicular distance remains the same.

5. What is the purpose of calculating the scalar moment around a point?

The scalar moment around a point is used to understand and analyze the turning effect of a force on an object. It can help determine the stability and equilibrium of an object, as well as the amount of torque required to move the object.