Scalar powers of a matrix exponential

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to define and prove the identity ##(e^A)^n=e^{nA}## for matrix exponentials. The speakers consider using the power series definition of ##e^A## and the commutativity of matrices to prove the identity for integer values of n, but struggle to prove it for real values of n. They also discuss the scalar analogue of the problem and suggest using the definition of ##e^x## as a power series to prove the identity for real values of n.
Hiero
Starting from the definition of a matrix exponential as a power series, how would we show that ##(e^A)^n=e^{nA}##?

I know how to show that if A and B commute then ##e^Ae^B = e^{A+B}## and from this we can show that the first identity is true for integer values of n, but how can we show it’s true for any real value of n?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Define ##\left(e^A\right)^n## in case ##n\in \mathbb{R}.##

Likes Hiero
fresh_42 said:
Define ##\left(e^A\right)^n## in case ##n\in \mathbb{R}.##
I was naively imagining the nth power of the infinite sum, but I suppose to define the nth power of a matrix in the first place we would have to use the series definition? So it’s just by definition?

I don't know what the the left hand side should be. It makes no sense. What is ##\begin{bmatrix}-1&3\\1&-5\end{bmatrix}^\pi\;?##

fresh_42 said:
I don't know what the the left hand side should be. It makes no sense. What is ##\begin{bmatrix}-1&3\\1&-5\end{bmatrix}^\pi\;?##
That’s what I mean, we would have to use the exponential to define it like ##e^{\pi log(\begin{bmatrix}-1&3\\1&-5\end{bmatrix}\;)}## making the “identity” a definition.

I was overlooking that point, thanks.

I’m still curious about the scalar analog of the question. I know it’s pointless but I’m just wondering if someone has a solution to the following because I haven’t a clue how to approach it:

Suppose we defined ##e^x## by its power series ##e^x=1+x+0.5x^2+...+\frac{x^n}{n!}+...## (where x is a scalar now not a matrix)

Starting from that definition, how would we prove that ##(e^x)^n=e^{nx}## for any real n?

I’m just curious; there ought to be a way. So if you smart people are bored, then that is my problem to you.

I would prove that ##e^x## is a solution of ##y'=y,y'(0)=1## which is obvious, and then show that ##e^{nx}## and ##(e^x)^n## both solve ##y'=ny, y'(0)=n##, and see if Picard Lindelöff applies for uniqueness.

1. What is a scalar power of a matrix exponential?

A scalar power of a matrix exponential is when a constant number is raised to the power of a matrix, resulting in a new matrix. It is denoted as cA, where c is the scalar and A is the matrix.

2. How is a scalar power of a matrix exponential calculated?

To calculate a scalar power of a matrix exponential, the matrix is first exponentiated using the standard matrix exponential formula. Then, the resulting matrix is multiplied by the scalar, resulting in a new matrix with each element multiplied by the scalar.

3. What is the significance of scalar powers of a matrix exponential in mathematics?

Scalar powers of a matrix exponential are important in many areas of mathematics, including differential equations, linear algebra, and quantum mechanics. They allow for efficient and accurate calculations in these fields.

4. Can scalar powers of a matrix exponential be negative?

Yes, scalar powers of a matrix exponential can be negative. This is equivalent to taking the inverse of the matrix raised to the positive power. However, the matrix must be invertible in order for this to be possible.

5. How do scalar powers of a matrix exponential relate to eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix can be used to calculate the scalar powers of a matrix exponential. Specifically, the eigenvalues raised to the power of the scalar will be the eigenvalues of the resulting matrix, and the eigenvectors will remain the same.