Scaling Interpretation for 2-D Continuity PDE: What Does UH/L Represent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of scaling and dimensional analysis in solving a PDE. It is mentioned that the vertical velocity is typically smaller than the horizontal velocity by a factor of H/L. This technique can also be used in other equations, such as the momentum equation, to simplify calculations. The conversation ends with a recommendation to read a paper on dimensional analysis by Hellums and Churchill.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm doing some scaling over a PDE and I understand the math side of things but I do not understand the physical side of what we are finding.

For example, suppose we have some PDE, say 2-D continuity for it's simplicity ##u_x + v_y = 0##. Let ##L## be the length of a side of a flowing channel and the height of the channel be ##H##. Now if ##x## scales as ##L## and ##y## scales as ##H## and if the mainstream velocity coming into the channel is ##U## then we may write ##U H/L \sim v##. What is actually being said here? That the vertical velocity is maximized as ##U H/L##? Please help!

Thanks a ton!

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to be saying that the typical y velocity will be smaller than the x velocity by a factor on the order of H/L.

Chet

What do you mean by "typical"?

They also use this technique with a time derivative as well, like in the momentum equation. My professor has said that this technique can save a lot of math, like if you are are doing a force balance for someone jumping out of an airplane, and you are concerned with initial velocity, this technique can eliminate "less important" terms.

joshmccraney said:
What do you mean by "typical"?
Maybe typical was a poor choice of term. Maybe it would have been better to say that the y velocities will be on the order of H/L times smaller than the x velocities. It is difficult to be more precise with something like this.
They also use this technique with a time derivative as well, like in the momentum equation. My professor has said that this technique can save a lot of math, like if you are are doing a force balance for someone jumping out of an airplane, and you are concerned with initial velocity, this technique can eliminate "less important" terms.
I don't follow what you are saying here. The way I learned dimensional analysis was taught to me by S. W. Churchill at the University of Michigan in 1963. See the famous paper by Hellums and Churchill in AIChE Journal (1964)

Chet

Likes member 428835
Thanks, I'll look into it! You're awesome Chet!

What is a 2-D continuity PDE?

A 2-D continuity PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation used to model physical systems that involve two independent variables. It describes the rate of change of a quantity with respect to both space and time.

What is scaling interpretation in relation to 2-D continuity PDEs?

Scaling interpretation refers to the process of analyzing the behavior of a 2-D continuity PDE by examining how it changes in response to changes in its parameters, such as spatial and temporal scales.

What does UH/L represent in scaling interpretation for 2-D continuity PDEs?

UH/L represents the ratio of the characteristic velocity, U, to the characteristic length, L, in the 2-D continuity PDE. It is used to scale the equations and determine the dominant terms that contribute to the overall behavior of the system.

How does scaling interpretation help us understand 2-D continuity PDEs?

Scaling interpretation allows us to simplify complex 2-D continuity PDEs and identify the key factors that influence the behavior of the system. It also helps us determine the appropriate boundary conditions and initial conditions for solving the equations.

What are some applications of scaling interpretation for 2-D continuity PDEs?

Scaling interpretation is commonly used in various fields such as fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and electrostatics to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in engineering and scientific research to optimize designs and make accurate predictions.