Scaling of units for equations of motions

In summary, the picture shows a problem where time is expressed in units of ##\sqrt{l/g}## and velocity in units of ##\sqrt{gl}##. This is a simple transformation to make the math easier, and it is related to the mathematical pendulum.
TammyTsang
Homework Statement
I am currently doing my final year project and I have been trying to scale my variables in my equations of motions, however I'm not sure what it means when the time is scaled also
Relevant Equations
V'=a-gsin(gamma)-V^2/l
In the picture, there is a problem where the t is in units of square root(l/g), and V in square root(gl)

I am wondering
1. What it means when time is in units other than time? Does it mean that when solving I have to take time/squareroot(l/g)
2. How did they get square root(l/g).

Thank you so much

Attachments

• Exampe 2.3.6.JPG
    Exampe 2.3.6.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 223
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Tammy Tsang, :welcome: !

TammyTsang said:
1. What it means when time is in units other than time? Does it mean that when solving I have to take time/squareroot(l/g)
2. How did they get square root(l/g).
What is described is a simple variable transformation to make the math look simpler. Time is still expressed as time, just not in seconds, or in minutes, or in hours but in a unit ##\sqrt{l/g}## which you may remember from the simple mathematical pendulum (that answers 2.). Note that ##\sqrt{l/g}## has the dimension of time.

So if we write $$t' = t\Bigg/\sqrt{l/g}$$ we get a dimensionless measure t' for the time
I use the ' apostrophe to indicate a different variable, not to indicate differentiation wrt time -- for that I use the dot notation, e.g. ##\dot x \equiv {dx\over dt}##.

Similarly $$V' = {V\over \sqrt {gl}} $$ so that $${dV'\over dt'} = {dV \over dt} \; { \sqrt {l/g} \over \sqrt{gl} } = {dV \over dt} \Bigg/ g$$

Meaning that, if we divide left and right of the first equation by ##g##, what we get is $$
\dot {V'} = {a\over g} - \sin\gamma- {V^2\over gl} = a'- \sin\gamma- V'^{\, 2} $$

1. What is scaling of units for equations of motion?

Scaling of units for equations of motion is the process of adjusting the units used in physical quantities to simplify and standardize the equations of motion. This ensures that the equations are consistent and easier to work with.

2. Why is scaling of units important in physics?

Scaling of units is important in physics because it allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of physical phenomena. It also helps to identify relationships between different quantities and simplifies the equations used to describe them.

3. How is scaling of units done in practice?

Scaling of units is done by choosing a set of base units and then expressing all other units in terms of these base units. This is usually done using the SI (International System of Units) system, which has seven base units for length, mass, time, electric current, temperature, amount of substance, and luminous intensity.

4. Can scaling of units affect the outcome of an experiment?

Yes, scaling of units can affect the outcome of an experiment if the units used are not consistent or if they are not scaled properly. This can lead to errors in calculations and incorrect interpretations of data.

5. Are there any limitations to scaling of units?

While scaling of units is a useful tool in simplifying equations of motion, it does have limitations. For example, it may not be applicable in certain cases where non-linear relationships exist between physical quantities. In addition, scaling may not always be straightforward and may require careful consideration and adjustment depending on the specific problem at hand.