Scaling the parameter of the SO(2) rotation matrix

The second formula is just another way of writing the first one.In summary, the conversation discusses the distance function for a rotation matrix in ##\mathbb{R}^2## and how it is affected by a second parameter ##\phi##. The group SO(2) is a one-dimensional group and the determinant of an orthogonal linear operator is always 1 or -1. The second rotation matrix is simply a standard rotation matrix for the angle ##\big(1-\frac{\phi}{2\pi}\big)\theta## and is not a separate generator. The distance function and its relationship to the rotation matrix are still unclear and require further explanation.
spaghetti3451
For the distance function ##(\Delta s)^2 = (\Delta r)^2 + (r \Delta \theta)^2##, the rotation matrix is ##R(\theta) = \begin{pmatrix} cos\ \theta & - sin\ \theta \\ sin\ \theta & cos\ \theta \end{pmatrix}##.

That means that for the distance function ##(\Delta s)^2 = (\Delta r)^2 + ((1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})r \Delta \theta)^2##, the rotation matrix is ## R(\theta) = \begin{pmatrix} cos\ [(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})\ \theta] & - sin\ [(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})\ \theta] \\ sin\ [(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})\ \theta] & cos\ [(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi})\ \theta] \end{pmatrix}##?

The generator for the original rotation matrix is ##X = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}##. That means that the new rotation matrix has the generator ##X = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & -i(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi}) \\ i(1-\frac{\phi}{2 \pi}) & 0 \end{pmatrix}##?

The problem with this is that because ##R(\theta) = \mathbb{1} - i \theta X + ...##, I can only see one generator ##X## when in fact there should be two generators because there are two parameters ##\theta## and ##\phi##.

Any thoughts on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
when in fact there should be two generators because there are two parameters

SO(2) is a one dimensional group. You should not have two parameters.

A map from ##\mathbb R^2## to ##\mathbb R^2## that preserves (Euclidean) distances and angles is always an orthogonal linear operator. The determinant of an orthogonal linear operator is always 1 or -1. SO(2) consists of the ones with determinant 1.

I'm not sure what happens when you replace the Euclidean distance function on ##\mathbb R^2## with another one. Are you sure that your new function even satisfies the definition of a metric? I don't think it can be a metric, since there's a second parameter in there. Did you intend for it to be a metric on ##\mathbb R^3## rather than ##\mathbb R^2##? Or is it supposed to be a metric on a plane through the origin in ##\mathbb R^3## that isn't the xy-plane? (If ##\phi## is the angle that the plane makes with the z axis, or something like that, then it's not really a parameter).

I think you will have to explain that distance function and how you got from the first rotation matrix to the second. The second is just a standard rotation matrix for the angle ##\big(1-\frac{\phi}{2\pi}\big)\theta##. The group has only one generator, not one generator for each angle.

1. What is the SO(2) rotation matrix?

The SO(2) rotation matrix is a two-dimensional mathematical representation of a rotation around a fixed point in the plane. It is used to describe the transformation of coordinates from one coordinate system to another.

2. How is the parameter of the SO(2) rotation matrix scaled?

The parameter of the SO(2) rotation matrix is typically scaled by using a scaling factor, which is a mathematical operation that multiplies the values of the matrix by a constant. This can be done to increase or decrease the magnitude of the rotation.

3. What is the purpose of scaling the parameter of the SO(2) rotation matrix?

Scaling the parameter of the SO(2) rotation matrix allows for greater control over the magnitude of the rotation. It can also be used to adjust the precision of the rotation, making it more accurate or less accurate depending on the needs of the application.

4. How does scaling the parameter affect the rotation of the SO(2) rotation matrix?

The scaling of the parameter directly affects the angle of rotation. A larger scaling factor will result in a greater rotation angle, while a smaller scaling factor will result in a smaller rotation angle. This can also affect the direction of the rotation, depending on the orientation of the coordinate system.

5. Are there any limitations to scaling the parameter of the SO(2) rotation matrix?

While scaling the parameter of the SO(2) rotation matrix can be helpful in certain situations, it may not always be appropriate or necessary. In some cases, scaling the parameter too much can result in a loss of precision or accuracy, so it is important to consider the specific needs of the application before implementing scaling.