Scanners and Optics Explained: Mirrors, Lens & CCD Array

• Thread starter mhdeia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary: The scanner uses a lens that is shaped like a D. The lens is a few centimeters long and has a resolution of 5 microns. The scanner has a field of view of 1 pixel. It takes thousands of pictures to create one image.
mhdeia
Hello all!
I am really rconfused about the optical part of a scanner head. :frown:
I read that it consists of mirrors, a lens and the ccd array. But how this lens looks like? Is it like a large slice? Do really exist such lenses? How can such a lens have so good resolution and so large field of view (that the scanner needs to move only to one direction!)

Any information about the scanner's optics will be appreciated :-) because until now I have found almost nothing...

THX!

Science news on Phys.org
Hi there
welcome to PF :)

what do you mean my a "large slice" ?

a scanner lens particularly in something small like a handheld scanner is nothing more than a glass "D" shaped lens a few centimetres or so long

Light is shone down onto the paper to be scanned light is reflected from the paper and focussed by the lens into the long narrow CCD or photodiode array.
As this is scrolled across the page the sensor ( photodiodes/CCD strip) detect the variations in light and dark areas and it builds up a picture line by line

Optical character recognition software can then be used to detect text and display it appropriately

Dave

a quick drawing for you, something like this...

attachment.php?attachmentid=52284&stc=1&d=1351129109.gif

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• scanner.gif
    scanner.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 671
Thank you very much davenn :smile:
Large slice.. actually I mean like a rod, like the one that draw.
Well, it's a bit strange for me that you can have such a good quality and resolution with that type of lens, whereas when you want to see something smaller (~ 3um resolution) you have to use an expensive objective lens (with a lot of elements inside to correct aberrations etc)... Lenses for scanner don't suffer from aberrations and diffraction effects?

For example in laboratory we used the pathscan enabler IV scanner to see a microscope slide and it had resolution ~ 5 microns without the use of an objective lens.

No, they suffer from aberrations just like anything does. You just can't tell because you aren't magnifying anything like you are with a microscope or telescope. Also because the lens is a cylindrical lens (or something like that) and each pixel is at the optical axis of the lens. In a normal telescope or microscope you want to capture an area all at once, not have to scan the scope around to move the image across the pixels, so you have a square or rectangular chip. (With some exceptions) So in essence you actually have a very very tiny field of view, only 1 pixel across, but it is as long as the lens is. And it takes thousands of exposures each time you scan a page and combines them into one picture.

Related to Scanners and Optics Explained: Mirrors, Lens & CCD Array

1. What is the purpose of mirrors in a scanner?

Mirrors in a scanner are used to reflect light from the original document onto the lens and CCD array. This allows for the creation of an accurate digital image of the document.

2. How do lenses affect the quality of a scanned image?

Lenses in a scanner are responsible for focusing the reflected light onto the CCD array. The quality of the lens can greatly impact the sharpness and clarity of the scanned image.

3. What is a CCD array and how does it work?

A CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) array is a light-sensitive electronic component that converts light into digital signals. It works by capturing and storing the light particles from the original document, which are then converted into digital data by the scanner.

4. Can the type of optics used in a scanner affect its scanning speed?

Yes, the type of optics used in a scanner can greatly impact its scanning speed. Higher quality lenses and CCD arrays can process more information at a faster rate, resulting in quicker scanning times.

5. Are there any maintenance tips for keeping a scanner's optics in good condition?

Yes, it is important to keep the scanner's optics clean and free from dust and debris. This can be done by regularly wiping the lens and mirrors with a soft, lint-free cloth. It is also recommended to avoid exposing the scanner to direct sunlight or harsh chemicals, as these can damage the optics.