Scanning Tunneling Microscope I-V curve

In summary, A Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM) is a type of microscope that uses a sharp metal tip to scan the surface of a material at the atomic level. It works by applying a voltage between the tip and the surface, creating a tunneling current that is measured to create a 3D image. An I-V curve is a graphical representation of this relationship. STMs are commonly used in scientific research to study materials at the atomic level, providing valuable information about topography, electronic properties, and chemical composition. They have advantages over other microscopes, such as high resolution and the ability to operate in different environments without sample preparation.
Edge5
I know that scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) I-V curve is exponential for a conducting sample.
How would it look like if I had a semiconductor and a non-conductor sample?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scanning tunneling microscopy is based on the flow of an electrical current. Thus, this method isn’t suited to directly image electrically insulating material. Regarding metals and semiconductors, the current-voltage characteristics depends on the density of electron states of the tip and sample material. Have a look at http://hoffman.physics.harvard.edu/research/STMtechnical.php

Likes Edge5

1. What is a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM)?

A Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM) is a type of microscope that uses a sharp metal tip to scan the surface of a material at the atomic level. It measures the tunneling current between the tip and the surface, producing a 3D image of the surface.

2. How does an STM work?

An STM works by applying a voltage between the metal tip and the surface of the material. This creates a tunneling current between the two, which is then measured and used to create an image of the surface. The tip is scanned across the surface in a raster pattern, creating a 3D image.

3. What is an I-V curve in relation to an STM?

An I-V curve, also known as a current-voltage curve, is a graphical representation of the relationship between the voltage and current in an STM. It shows how the current changes as the voltage is varied, providing valuable information about the electrical properties of the material being scanned.

4. How is an STM used in scientific research?

STMs are commonly used in scientific research to study the surface of materials at the atomic level. They can provide information about the topography, electronic properties, and chemical composition of a material. This information is crucial in fields such as nanotechnology, materials science, and surface physics.

5. What are the benefits of using an STM over other types of microscopes?

STMs have several advantages over other types of microscopes. They can achieve much higher resolution, up to atomic levels, and can also operate in various environments, including vacuum, air, and liquids. Additionally, STMs do not require staining or preparation of samples, making them ideal for studying delicate or sensitive materials.