Scattering of a scalar particle and a Fermion

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the invariant matrix element of a process in Yukawa theory involving fermions and real scalar particles. The Feynman diagrams for this process are shown and the corresponding matrix element and Feynman rules are provided. There is some confusion about the number of diagrams, with the conclusion that there are two diagrams, one in the s-channel and one in the t-channel. The suggestion is made to couple the outgoing scalar particle to the fermion in a different way to create a second diagram.
foxdiligens
TL;DR Summary
Feynman diagrams at tree level contributing to the scattering of a fermion and a scalar particle.
Hello everyone,

I am working on the following problem: I would like to determine the invariant Matrix element of the process ##\psi\left(p,s\right)+\phi\left(k\right)\rightarrow\psi\left(p',s'\right)+\phi\left(k'\right)## within Yukawa theory, where ##\psi\left(p,s\right)## denotes a fermion with momentum p and spin s and ##\phi\left(k\right)## denotes a real scalar particle with momentum k. The Lagrangian is given by:

##\mathcal{L}=\overline{\psi}\left(i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu-M\right)\psi+\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial_\mu\phi\right)\left(\partial^\mu\phi\right)-\frac{m}{2}\phi^2-g\overline{\psi}\psi\phi##

Which Feynman diagrams contribute on tree level and how are they translated into the invariant matrix element? Following my considerations, this is the s-channel only, which is represented by this diagram:

Boson-Fermion scattering.png

I would write the matrix element as follows:
##i\mathcal{T}=\int\frac{dq^4}{\left(2\pi\right)^4}\overline{u}_{s'}\left(p'\right)\left(-ig\right)\left(2\pi\right)^4\delta^{(4)}\left(q-p'-k'\right)\frac{i\left(\gamma^\mu q_\mu+M\right)}{q^2-M^2}\left(-ig\left(2\pi\right)^4\delta^{\left(4\right)}\left(p+k-q\right)\right)u_s\left(p\right)##
which yields this invariant matrix element:
##\mathcal{M}=-\frac{g^2}{s+M^2}\overline{u}_{s'}\left(p'\right)\left(\gamma^\mu q_\mu+M\right)u_s\left(p\right).##

I utilized the following Feyman rules:
  • Fermionic propagator: ##\frac{i\left(\gamma^\mu q_\mu+M\right)}{q^2+M^2}##
  • Vertex: ##-ig##
  • Incoming/outgoing external fermion: ##u_s\left(p\right)/\overline{u}_{s}\left(p\right)##
  • External boson, incoming or outgoing: ##1##
Are my considerations correct? According to the exercise I should get two diagrams. However, I could only imagine one further situation with the scalar particle's momentum inverted, meaning this diagram:

Boson-fermion scattering 2.png

I hope you can bring some clarity to my question. Thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can couple the outgoing scalar particle to the fermion "before" your incoming scalar particle.
That's the only way I see to make a different diagram.

Likes vanhees71
Note that, for the purpose of drawing those two diagrams, it may be clearer to interchange the outgoing fermion and scalar. It should then be clear that one of the diagrams is the s-channel diagram and the other a t-channel diagram.

Likes vanhees71 and mfb

1. What is the difference between a scalar particle and a Fermion?

A scalar particle is a fundamental particle that has no spin, while a Fermion is a particle that has half-integer spin. This means that Fermions follow the Pauli exclusion principle, while scalar particles do not.

2. How does scattering of a scalar particle and a Fermion occur?

Scattering is a process in which two particles interact and change direction or energy. In the case of a scalar particle and a Fermion, scattering can occur through the exchange of a virtual particle, such as a photon or a Z boson.

3. What are the applications of studying scattering of scalar particles and Fermions?

Studying the scattering of these particles can provide insights into the fundamental forces and interactions of the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.

4. How is scattering of scalar particles and Fermions described mathematically?

The scattering process is described by the scattering amplitude, which is a complex number that represents the probability of a particular scattering event occurring. This amplitude is calculated using quantum field theory.

5. Can scattering of scalar particles and Fermions be observed in experiments?

Yes, scattering of these particles has been observed in experiments such as particle colliders and nuclear reactors. These experiments provide valuable data for testing and refining theoretical models of scattering.