Which Is Better for Visualizing Jet Flow: Schlieren or BOS Photography?

• I
  • Thread starter Ahsman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photography
In summary, the conversation is about comparing two sets of images, one schlieren and the other BOS, to understand the flow of a jet from a heat gun. The individual is seeking ideas on how to analyze the images and determine which one provides better flow properties. They are also discussing the sensitivity of the two systems and how to link the data from both types of images for comparison.
Ahsman
hi

I have two sets of images, one schlieren and the other BOS. I need some ideas to explain the flow and see which one gives better flow properties. The flow is just a jet out of a heat gun. Any help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean which type of image gives you more info about the flow?

tade said:
You mean which type of image gives you more info about the flow?
Thank you for the reply.

Yes. And the sensitivity of the two systems. I'll be producing mean/rms of the pixel shift and drho/dx, drho/dy but how do I then link it to schlieren images for comparison?

Ahsman said:
hi

I have two sets of images, one schlieren and the other BOS. I need some ideas to explain the flow and see which one gives better flow properties. The flow is just a jet out of a heat gun. Any help is much appreciated

What is 'BOS'? I'm unfamiliar with that acronym.

1. What is Schlieren or BOS photography?

Schlieren or BOS (Background Oriented Schlieren) photography is a technique used to visualize and measure small changes in the refractive index of air. It is commonly used in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics research to study the flow of gases around objects.

2. How does Schlieren or BOS photography work?

Schlieren or BOS photography works by using a light source, such as a laser or LED, to illuminate a test object. The light is then directed through a series of lenses and a knife-edge or grid, which creates a shadow of the changes in air density caused by the object. This shadow is then captured by a camera and processed to create an image.

3. What are the advantages of using Schlieren or BOS photography?

Schlieren or BOS photography offers several advantages over other flow visualization techniques. It is non-intrusive, meaning it does not disturb the flow being studied. It also has a high sensitivity, allowing for the detection of small changes in air density. Additionally, it can provide quantitative data on the flow, such as density gradients and shock waves.

4. What types of applications is Schlieren or BOS photography used for?

Schlieren or BOS photography has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as aerospace, automotive, and wind energy. It is commonly used to study the flow around aircraft wings, car bodies, and wind turbine blades. It can also be used in research on combustion, supersonic flows, and shock waves.

5. Are there any limitations to Schlieren or BOS photography?

While Schlieren or BOS photography is a powerful tool for flow visualization, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for studying flows with large density gradients, so it may not be suitable for all types of flows. Additionally, it requires specialized equipment and can be sensitive to external factors such as air turbulence and vibrations.