School Suspends Boy for Wearing Prom Dress

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, a high school senior was ticketed $249 for disorderly conduct, suspended for three days, and banned from his last track meet for wearing a prom dress. Some people found the joke funny, but others were offended.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
School Suspends Boy for Wearing Prom Dress
Wed May 11,10:56 PM ET
LAKE GENEVA, Wis. - A high school senior who thought it would be funny to wear a dress to his prom was ticketed $249 for disorderly conduct, suspended for three days and banned from his last track meet.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=817&e=18&u=/ap/20050512/ap_on_fe_st/prom_dress_dispute

Geez, I'd have just laughed if a guy showed up to the prom in a dress. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=817&e=18&u=/ap/20050512/ap_on_fe_st/prom_dress_dispute

Geez, I'd have just laughed if a guy showed up to the prom in a dress. :rolleyes:
Some people seriously need to get a life! Who the hell's business is it what he wears, as long as it doesn't violate public decency laws? (Okay, in Smurf's case that would involve a mask of some sort, but still...)

It also says he was dancing in a sexual manner. This is the U.S.. We're supposed to be uptight about sex here. And he was dancing in a dress, oh no, what will the PTA say? This must have been an attempt to humiliate the school.

Some things I'll just never understand. :confused:

I love the school name Lake Geneva Badger High

badger, badger, badger

Evo said:

badger, badger, badger
Oooooooooh SNAKE!

I didn't even see that for some reason. That's so funny!. Maybe that's why the school was so sensitive about the joke.

Huckleberry said:
It also says he was dancing in a sexual manner. This is the U.S.. We're supposed to be uptight about sex here. And he was dancing in a dress, oh no, what will the PTA say? This must have been an attempt to humiliate the school.

Some things I'll just never understand. :confused:

Knowing what went on at my prom, I'm sure he's telling the truth that there was a lot of sexually provocative dancing going on, yet he was singled out for wearing a dress. The only way this should be a scandal is if someone else was wearing the same dress! :tongue:

Evo said:
badger, badger, badger
Thanks a lot! :grumpy: It's taken me a day and a half to get that damned thing out of my head, and now it's back. :grumpy: :grumpy: :tongue:

Moonbear said:
Knowing what went on at my prom, I'm sure he's telling the truth that there was a lot of sexually provocative dancing going on, yet he was singled out for wearing a dress. The only way this should be a scandal is if someone else was wearing the same dress! :tongue:
The exact same dress? or just one that looks similar?
I guess both would be pretty scandalous.

Huckleberry said:
The exact same dress? or just one that looks similar?
I guess both would be pretty scandalous.

Oh, gosh, I didn't mean sharing a dress, I meant as in, "OMG! I can't believe she's wearing the same dress! How embarrassing! :cry:"

Hey Danger,

badger, badger, badger... :biggrin:

Huckleberry said:
Hey Danger,

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :grumpy: :tongue:

Huckleberry said:
Hey Danger,

mushroom mushrooooom!

Moonbear said:
mushroom mushrooooom!
You're kidding! You can't be bloating again already!

oooOooOOoOoH A Snaaake, A Snaaaaaaayke, OOOOOOOH, It's a SNake!

Where is Smurf anyway? I haven't seen him around in a while.
At least he will have some entertainment when he comes back. I know how much he likes to razz Danger. :devil: :cool:

Just because I choose not to respond to your petty jests (of incalculable immaturity and folliness) does not mean I'm not still around.

Smurf said:
Just because I choose not to respond to your petty jests (of incalculable immaturity and folliness) does not mean I'm not still around.

Aww, I thought you'd feel compassion for your comrade in heels! :biggrin:

So, have you decided what you'll wear for graduation yet? That's pretty soon now, right?

Evo said:

badger, badger, badger

I hear their biggest rivals are the Kerhonkson Fighting Beavers.

We got beaver, yes we do, we got beaver, how 'bout you?!

Moonbear said:
Aww, I thought you'd feel compassion for your comrade in heels! :biggrin:

So, have you decided what you'll wear for graduation yet? That's pretty soon now, right?
Pfft. Feel compassion for this Amateur? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm still deciding, yes it's soon, june 4th.

Moonbear said:

Someone posted that link to alt.slack, and i figured it was him as well.

Evo said:

badger, badger, badger

:rofl: :rofl:

I love that flash. I remember seeing it when it first was released. Ah, the badger dance. Good times.

DocToxyn said:
I hear their biggest rivals are the Kerhonkson Fighting Beavers.

We got beaver, yes we do, we got beaver, how 'bout you?!

OK, i really did laugh outloud at that one. The image of 20 high school girls chanting that was too much.

franznietzsche said:

OK, i really did laugh outloud at that one. The image of 20 high school girls chanting that was too much.
we've got more! we've got more! we've got more!

Math Is Hard said:
we've got more! we've got more! we've got more!

I had so many responses, but none of them even remotely in the galactic vicinity of appropriate. Fie.

What happened in the case of the school suspending a boy for wearing a prom dress?

In this case, a high school student was suspended for wearing a prom dress to school. He had been planning to wear it to his prom, but decided to wear it to school to make a statement about gender fluidity and acceptance.

Why was the boy suspended for wearing a prom dress?

The school claimed that the dress violated the dress code, which stated that male students must wear pants and female students must wear dresses or skirts to prom. The boy argued that the dress code was discriminatory and did not allow for gender non-conforming individuals.

Was the boy's suspension justified?

This is a controversial question and opinions may vary. Some may argue that the school was within their rights to enforce the dress code, while others may argue that the dress code was discriminatory and that the boy's suspension was unjustified.

What was the outcome of the situation?

After the incident gained national attention, the school district decided to revise their dress code to be more inclusive of gender identities and expressions. The boy's suspension was also lifted and he was allowed to wear the prom dress to his prom.

What impact did this incident have?

This incident sparked a larger conversation about gender identity and expression, as well as the importance of inclusive dress codes in schools. It also shed light on the discrimination faced by gender non-conforming individuals and the need for acceptance and understanding in schools and society as a whole.

Back