Schools in New York for Physics B.S. - GPA 3.4, 4.0 Major

• Schools
  • Thread starter aglo6509
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the individual is a second year community college student looking for transfer options in New York with a B.S. in Physics. They have a 3.4 overall GPA and a 4.0 major GPA. They have been recommended Rensselear Polytech and are also considering City College of New York, Hunter, and SUNY Stony Brook. They are open to spending a little more for a good college and are concerned about the social life at Stony Brook. The individual also mentions potentially high tuition costs at RPI and the possibility of financial aid for local students.
aglo6509
Hello I'm going into my second year of a community college and need to start looking at schools to transfer too. I live in New York and I know there's some good schools here so I'm thinking about staying local to save some money because I want to go to gradschool. I'm open to any suggestions on what schools would be the best to finish of my B.S. in Physics however.

My overall GPA as of now is around a 3.4 and my major GPA is a 4.0 if that helps.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how their physics program shapes up, but I have worked with two newly-minted women engineers in pulp and paper that graduated from Rensselear Polytech, and their level of competence was very good, compared to most newly-hired engineers. They really hit the ground running.

I am a second year physics graduate student in the City University of New York (CUNY) system. I'll be teaching out at York College next semester, but I'll be taking classes at the Graduate Center. I am studying astronomy, so I'll also be working out of the Natural History Museum (I'll be running all over the place!).

There are, of course, Columbia and NYU, but they're very expensive. City College of New York has a good program, and Hunter has a fairly sizable individual department, as well. I can't really comment on many of the other programs in CUNY, but they're aren't all great. You could also consider going out on Long Island and applying to SUNY Stony Brook, which has an enormous program. I haven't had any interaction with people from there, so I don't know what it is like out there, and I've only been to the campus once.

I don't know much beyond that. I am a native Marylander, so I've only been up in NY City for a year.

I live not even 10 minutes away from RPI and would be set on going there if tution wasn't 62,000$ a year and rising. I am looking into Stony Brook a lot because I know they have a great math and science program, I just don't know how the social life is down there. Some say its dry others don't so I don't really know.

I'm looking for a price range like the schools in the SUNY system, but I'm not afriad of taking out a lot of money so if hear of a great college but its a little on the expensive side I may go for it.

aglo6509 said:
I live not even 10 minutes away from RPI and would be set on going there if tution wasn't 62,000$ a year and rising. I am looking into Stony Brook a lot because I know they have a great math and science program, I just don't know how the social life is down there. Some say its dry others don't so I don't really know.

I'm looking for a price range like the schools in the SUNY system, but I'm not afriad of taking out a lot of money so if hear of a great college but its a little on the expensive side I may go for it.
I didn't know RPI was so expensive. Should have checked a little more carefully. The two engineers that I worked with were very well-educated and up-to-speed on stuff like process-control software and hardware (this was in the early 80's). When I was a process chemist, I had to train incoming engineers to get the up to speed on processes relevant to our pulp-mill.

Those ladies moved right into engineering slots on the newest, most advanced high-speed coated paper machine in the world and held their own. Those RPI engineers impressed the hell out of me. We had new engineers from UMO, McGill, and other really good schools, too, but the Rensselaer ladies were tops, right out of the chute.

aglo6509 said:

From personal experience partying at Stony Brook, it is a dry campus but people party like hell anyway. Then again, I don't think that should be a major choice changer. You shouldn't be going to school looking forward to partying.

aglo6509 said:

Have you contacted the financial aid office at RPI? They may have some aid programs specifically geared toward students who live nearby and wouldn't pose a load on their residence/food service programs. It doesn't hurt to ask...

DeadOriginal said:
From personal experience partying at Stony Brook, it is a dry campus but people party like hell anyway. Then again, I don't think that should be a major choice changer. You shouldn't be going to school looking forward to partying.

I'm not talking about partying, its just if I go to a school where 3/4 of the people leave on the weekends because they're commuting, that seems it gets a bit dry there. For me anyways.

turbo-1 said:
Have you contacted the financial aid office at RPI? They may have some aid programs specifically geared toward students who live nearby and wouldn't pose a load on their residence/food service programs. It doesn't hurt to ask...

Well, I wouldn't have to worry about living on campus because it's only mandatory for freshman/sophomores to live on campus. However I go to a local community college now and kind of want to leave my area for a little bit.

I would also add that, unless your family is rather wealthy, don't be discouraged from Columbia due to the cost. Most middle-class (<$150,000) people can get a fair amount of financial aid. Of course though, it is very competitive to get in.

I have friends at Stony Brook who very much like it, for what its (a nonspecific anecdotal evidence) worth!

aglo6509 said:
I'm not talking about partying, its just if I go to a school where 3/4 of the people leave on the weekends because they're commuting, that seems it gets a bit dry there. For me anyways.

Sorry I misunderstood.

Yes. It does get a little dead out there on the weekends.

n1person said:
I would also add that, unless your family is rather wealthy, don't be discouraged from Columbia due to the cost. Most middle-class (<$150,000) people can get a fair amount of financial aid. Of course though, it is very competitive to get in.

I have friends at Stony Brook who very much like it, for what its (a nonspecific anecdotal evidence) worth!

Funny thing you mention Columbia, my cousin is working on his Ph.D there and I believe is teaching a couple classes.

Related to Schools in New York for Physics B.S. - GPA 3.4, 4.0 Major

1. What are the top schools in New York for a Physics B.S. degree?

Some of the top schools in New York for a Physics B.S. degree are Columbia University, New York University, Cornell University, and Stony Brook University.

2. Can I get into a top school for Physics with a GPA of 3.4?

While a GPA of 3.4 may not be considered highly competitive for top schools, it is still possible to get into a good program with a strong application, letters of recommendation, and relevant research experience.

3. Are there any schools in New York that offer a 4.0 major in Physics?

Yes, some schools in New York offer a 4.0 major in Physics. For example, Columbia University offers a 4.0 major in Physics through its Columbia College program.

4. What are the typical admission requirements for a Physics B.S. program in New York?

The typical admission requirements for a Physics B.S. program in New York include a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT), and relevant research experience. Some schools may also require interviews or personal statements.

5. Can I transfer into a Physics B.S. program in New York with a GPA of 3.4 from another university?

It is possible to transfer into a Physics B.S. program in New York with a GPA of 3.4 from another university, but it will depend on the specific requirements and policies of each school. It is important to research and reach out to the admissions offices of the schools you are interested in to determine their transfer requirements and processes.