Schrodinger equation numerical solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a program that solves the Schrödinger equation numerically using the finite difference method. The goal is to create a program that solves the Schrödinger and Poisson equations self-consistently for the conduction band in different heterostructures. The conversation also mentions the use of different relations, such as the occupation of the kth eigenenergy, and raises questions about the units and values of electron mass and fermi energy to be used in the calculations. The conversation concludes by discussing the importance of the correct fermi energy value and the possibility of directly estimating it.
aaaa202
I have written a program that solves the Schrödinger equation numerically using the finite difference method based on the attached article. The end goal is to make a program that solves the Schrödinger and Poisson equations self-consistently for the conduction band in different heterostructures.
To do so you need to invoke different relations. For example that the occupation of the kth eigenenergy is given by:

n_k = m*/(πħ2) ∫E_k∞ 1/(1+exp((E-E_f)/kT)) dE

, where E_k is the fermi energy and m* is the effective mass in the band.
Now the problem I have come to is that my units create problems in the above equation. Using the electron mass for the effective mass (I don't know what I should use, I guess it depends on the material) and ħ and a trial potential in the same scale as these units I get eigenenergies of size ≈10-34.
But since kT≈10^(-25) for the systems I am working with the exponential in the above equation simply yields 1 for all energies.
I feel like an amateur that this is giving me problems, but I really don't know what to do at this point. Should I use a different effective mass? I guess I should but is that the main problem? Should I add some kind of conduction band offset? And also what fermi energy should I use for my system?
Hope you will take time to answer some of my questions :)

Attachments

• schrodingerpoisson.pdf
    844.2 KB · Views: 1,005
Physics news on Phys.org
The electron mass should not appear in the exponential. E-E_f is of the order of electronvolts.

But surely E_k should depend on the electron mass?

The trouble is that the values of E close to E_k inserted in the exponential simply yields 1. But maybe that isn't a problem actually.
Another thing is however: How do I know which value of the fermi energy to use?

I'm not sure how you defined Ek - the energy levels depend on the electron mass but there are no extremely small or large values appearing so the calculations should not run into problems.
Also, you seem to mix Ek and Ef in your posts here.
aaaa202 said:
The trouble is that the values of E close to E_k inserted in the exponential simply yields 1.
So what? Energy levels very close to the Fermi energy will be filled by 1/2, that is the correct result.
aaaa202 said:
How do I know which value of the fermi energy to use?
If the Fermi energy is wrong, the total number of electrons will be too low or too high. You can iterate (guess energy -> calculate number of electrons -> improve guess -> ...) until you find the right value, but there might be some trick to directly estimate it if the energy levels allow that.

What is the Schrodinger equation and why is it important in physics?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a given location, and has been crucial in our understanding of the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

What is the difference between the analytical and numerical solutions of the Schrodinger equation?

Analytical solutions of the Schrodinger equation are exact, closed-form solutions that can be solved using mathematical techniques. Numerical solutions, on the other hand, are approximations that are obtained using computational methods. While analytical solutions are ideal, they are often not feasible for complex systems, making numerical solutions a valuable alternative.

What are the main techniques used for numerically solving the Schrodinger equation?

The most commonly used techniques for numerically solving the Schrodinger equation include the finite difference method, the finite element method, and the variational method. These methods involve dividing the space into a grid or mesh, and solving the equation at each point in the grid to obtain the overall solution.

What are the challenges faced in numerically solving the Schrodinger equation?

One of the main challenges in numerically solving the Schrodinger equation is the high computational cost, especially for large or complex systems. Another challenge is the accuracy of the solution, as numerical methods can introduce errors that need to be carefully controlled. Additionally, the numerical solution may not always converge to the exact analytical solution, making it important to verify the results.

How is the numerical solution of the Schrodinger equation used in practical applications?

The numerical solution of the Schrodinger equation has numerous applications in fields such as quantum chemistry, materials science, and nanotechnology. It is used to study the behavior of atoms and molecules, design new materials, and simulate quantum systems that are difficult or impossible to study experimentally. It is also a crucial tool in the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.