Schwarzschild Geometry: Evaluating Proper Distance

In summary: The integrand is just the distance between two points on the sphere, and the theta and phi are the coordinates of those points. Could you please provide an example calculation?
kirkr
TL;DR Summary
Schwarzschild Geometry-proper distance.
Schwarzschild Geometry-proper distance. From what I have studied when the Schwarzschild line element is evaluated at constant time and at a constant radius , proper distance becomes a Euclidean distance on the surface of a sphere. What I don't understand is how to evaluate the integral associated with proper distance in terms of theta and phi. Could you provide an example calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
kirkr said:
What I don't understand is how to evaluate the integral associated with proper distance in terms of theta and phi. Could you provide an example calculation?
I'm not sure if this question is homework, or just homework-like, but the etiquette here at PF is that you should first show your attempted calculation (in latex), or at least list the formulas that are potentially relevant, rather than expecting others to spoon-feed you a whole calculation.

Now, when you say "the integral", over what (type of) path on the sphere do you wish to integrate? E.g., a segment of a great circle? Or some more complicated path?

Likes vanhees71
kirkr said:
From what I have studied
What have you studied? Please give a reference.

kirkr said:
when the Schwarzschild line element is evaluated at constant time and at a constant radius , proper distance becomes a Euclidean distance on the surface of a sphere.
This doesn't make sense. The surface of a 2-sphere is not a Euclidean manifold, so there is no such thing as "a Euclidean distance" on it.

Likes malawi_glenn, vanhees71 and Orodruin
kirkr said:
Summary: Schwarzschild Geometry-proper distance.

From what I have studied when the Schwarzschild line element is evaluated at constant time and at a constant radius , proper distance becomes a Euclidean distance on the surface of a sphere.
No, but distance along a sphere at radial coordinate ##r## is the same as distance along a sphere of radius ##r## in a Euclidean space.

A useful way to think about it is to ask yourself how you would calculate distance along some path on a sphere in a normal Euclidean space. What integral do you do? And what does the Schwarzschild line element look like when ##t## and ##r## are constant?

Likes vanhees71
kirkr said:
What I don't understand is how to evaluate the integral associated with proper distance in terms of theta and phi. Could you provide an example calculation?
are you familiar with how the metric tensor is used to calculate distances in a manifold? If not, work through https://preposterousuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/grtinypdf.pdf to see how to set up the integral.

That’s the hard part - the integral itself is straightforward, and even trivial if you remember that you can choose your coordinates so that both points are on the “equator”

Thanks. I will review the Preposterous Universe link that you sent. Kirk

PeterDonis said:
What have you studied? Please give a reference.
Hi Peter
Two of the sources that I have used are
Tensors, Relativity and Cosmology, Dalarson
Introduction to Cosmology, Narlikar

kirkr said:
Hi Peter
Two of the sources that I have used are
Tensors, Relativity and Cosmology, Dalarson
Introduction to Cosmology, Narlikar
These both seem focused more on cosmology, which does not make use of the Schwarzsschild geometry (FRW geometry, which is very different, is the important one in cosmology). That may be why they don't give a good understanding of the issue you are asking about.

kirkr said:
What I don't understand is how to evaluate the integral associated with proper distance in terms of theta and phi.
This works exactly the same as the corresponding integral on the surface of an ordinary 2-sphere. For example, it's the same as computing proper distances on the surface of (an idealized spherical) Earth in terms of latitude and longitude.

1. What is Schwarzschild Geometry?

Schwarzschild Geometry is a mathematical model used to describe the curvature of space around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It was first proposed by German physicist Karl Schwarzschild in 1916 as a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity.

2. How is Proper Distance evaluated in Schwarzschild Geometry?

Proper Distance is a measure of the distance between two points in a curved spacetime, taking into account the curvature of space. In Schwarzschild Geometry, it is evaluated using the Schwarzschild metric, which takes into account the mass and radius of the central object. This metric can be used to calculate the proper distance between any two points in the curved spacetime.

3. What is the significance of Schwarzschild Radius in this geometry?

Schwarzschild Radius is the distance from the center of a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass at which the escape velocity equals the speed of light. In Schwarzschild Geometry, it is used to define the event horizon of a black hole. Any object or light that crosses the event horizon will be unable to escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

4. Can Schwarzschild Geometry be applied to other objects besides black holes?

Yes, Schwarzschild Geometry can be applied to any object with a spherically symmetric mass distribution. This includes objects such as stars, planets, and even galaxies. However, the effects of curvature in these cases may be much smaller and therefore harder to detect.

5. How does Schwarzschild Geometry differ from Euclidean Geometry?

Schwarzschild Geometry is a non-Euclidean geometry, meaning that it does not follow the rules of Euclidean Geometry, which is based on flat, non-curved space. In Schwarzschild Geometry, the presence of mass causes the curvature of space, leading to differences in distance and angles compared to Euclidean Geometry. This is important in understanding the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as near black holes.