Science TV and Terrible Editing,Effects

• Thread starter Efar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the speaker expresses frustration with the use of excessive and unnecessary editing techniques and special effects in science television programs. They believe these techniques take away from the informative presentation and instead focus on the director or editor. The speaker hopes for a change in this trend to improve the quality of science television.
Efar
For better or worse I have gotten most of my Science information from various television series over the past few decades.I have noticed a disturbing trend in TV editing and effects over the years. Actually a freaking aggravating, infuriating and disappointing trend toward using idiotic effects to perform simple cuts or transitions from one scene to another in many of the newer programs of all sorts, not just the moronic,ghost and ufo(Eric Von Daniken) "investigations". Discovery,National Geographic,History Channels, PBS NOVA,etc., are all guilty of these immature and unprofessional methods.
The use of "epileptic" editing techniques(phoney static,flashing lights,smearing frames, etc.) and nausey-cam as well as stupid,noisy background "music" has made it impossible for me to watch many of the programs which could otherwise be fine,informative presentations.
Everyone who has tried to make their own films or videos for the first time is probably guilty of using cheap,cheesy,stupid effects to "enhance" their goofy work - when they're 14 years old!The first rule of TV/film making is that the SUBJECT is the star, not the director or the editor. One should not be glaringly aware of the directing or editing, and special effects are for enhancing the telling of the Story.
I hope,after personally emailing several letters of complaint myself, that something can be done to end this pathetic attempt at "hip-hopping" up Science Television.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for pointing this out. I thought their last show on psychics that channel ghosts on UFO's was a load of hooey, but I couldn't put my finger on just why.

What is the purpose of Science TV?

The purpose of Science TV is to educate and inform the general public about various scientific topics and advancements through television programming. Its goal is to make science accessible and entertaining for all audiences.

What is considered "terrible editing" in Science TV?

Terrible editing in Science TV can refer to a number of things, such as poor visual effects, choppy transitions, and incorrect or misleading information presented. It can also include excessive use of dramatic music, unnecessary cuts, and other techniques that take away from the scientific content being presented.

Why is good editing important in science television?

Good editing is important in science television because it helps to effectively communicate complex scientific concepts to a wider audience. It can also make the content more engaging and memorable, leading to better understanding and retention of information.

What are some common effects used in science television?

Some common effects used in science television include computer-generated imagery (CGI), animations, time-lapse footage, and visualizations of scientific data. These effects are used to enhance the presentation of scientific concepts and make them more visually appealing.

How can poor editing and effects affect the credibility of science television?

Poor editing and effects can greatly affect the credibility of science television by undermining the accuracy and validity of the information being presented. It can also make the content appear unprofessional and may cause viewers to question the credibility of the entire program. Good editing and effects are crucial in maintaining the trust and credibility of science television programs.

Back