Scientific American Entanglement Movie

In summary, Scientific American created a short movie to explain quantum entanglement and the Bell experiment, but the part that interested the speaker was when they explained the possibilities of entangled photons, which the speaker believes is flawed. They question the claim that quantum systems pass the CHSH test 100% of the time and point out that the actual pass rate is around 85%. They also mention that the video implies that entanglement is a permanent state, which is not entirely accurate. The speaker suggests that using the mermin-peres magic square game may have been a better choice for demonstrating quantum success. Ultimately, the speaker believes that the video could have been improved with better cinematography and pacing.
Zafa Pi
Scientific American created a short movie purporting to explain entanglement and the Bell experiment at:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/video/quantum-entanglement-the-movie-2012-01-30/

The part that interests me is near the end when explaining what is possible with entangled photons, which I believe is fatally flawed. I am wondering if the QM community here agrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't watched the video, but the description states "In this dramatized film, Scientific American editors George Musser and John Matson try to fool a colleague into thinking their brains are quantum-entangled."

Are you sure it's meant to be serious? What claim are they making that you question?

Doc Al said:
I haven't watched the video, but the description states "In this dramatized film, Scientific American editors George Musser and John Matson try to fool a colleague into thinking their brains are quantum-entangled."

Are you sure it's meant to be serious? What claim are they making that you question?
It is meant to be serious. The claim starts at 7:20.

Here's a youtube link (the site you linked to has overlay spam):

Doc Al said:

It's just a framing device for the video. They build up from "look we're doing the same thing!" to being forced (and failing) to violate Bell inequalities as a skeptical colleague keeps not believing them.

Zafa Pi said:
The part that interests me is near the end when explaining what is possible with entangled photons, which I believe is fatally flawed.

The worst mistake is they basically say quantum systems pass the CHSH test 100% of the time. That's wrong. The actual pass rate is at most 85-ish percent of the time. If they wanted 100% quantum success then they should have used a more complicated test, like the mermin-peres magic square game.

Also I don't like that they implied that entanglement was a permanent state of affairs, as if you could keep re-using entanglement to pass tests again and again. But... after fixing that CHSH-100% issue, I think the more pressing issue would have been improving the cinematography. The pacing and the acting leave a lot to be desired.

Likes Zafa Pi
Strilanc said:
Here's a youtube link (the site you linked to has overlay spam):

It's just a framing device for the video. They build up from "look we're doing the same thing!" to being forced (and failing) to violate Bell inequalities as a skeptical colleague keeps not believing them.
The worst mistake is they basically say quantum systems pass the CHSH test 100% of the time. That's wrong. The actual pass rate is at most 85-ish percent of the time. If they wanted 100% quantum success then they should have used a more complicated test, like the mermin-peres magic square game.

Also I don't like that they implied that entanglement was a permanent state of affairs, as if you could keep re-using entanglement to pass tests again and again. But... after fixing that CHSH-100% issue, I think the more pressing issue would have been improving the cinematography. The pacing and the acting leave a lot to be desired.

Exactly, "the CHSH test 100% of the time" was my concern. It violates Tsirelson's inequality. To set it right for the video it becomes cumbersome because they would then need to show that without QM 75% is max. Thank you for validating.

What you call the "mermin-peres magic square game", which I've heard called by the more colorful "quantum pseudo-telepathy" might actually be easier to present correctly due to the lack of difficulties that arise from the 85% vs 75% issue. It is quite spectacular, and makes for a great math problem that no one (unless s/he knows of a QM solution) can solve.

Also the "re-using entanglement" is a bother, yet is easily fixed by continually using fresh pairs of entangled photons.

Work up a sophisticated video critique and send to the Newyorker. :-)

1. What is "Scientific American Entanglement Movie"?

"Scientific American Entanglement Movie" is a documentary film produced by the popular science magazine "Scientific American". It explores the concept of quantum entanglement, a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected and can influence each other's behavior even when separated by large distances.

2. How does the movie explain quantum entanglement?

The movie uses a combination of interviews with experts, animations, and real-life examples to explain quantum entanglement. It delves into the history of the concept, its implications for our understanding of the universe, and its potential applications in technology.

3. Who are some of the scientists featured in the movie?

Some of the scientists featured in the movie include physicist and Nobel laureate David Gross, theoretical physicist and author Brian Greene, and quantum physicist and author Jim Al-Khalili. The movie also includes commentary from other experts in the field of quantum physics.

4. Is the movie suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, the movie is suitable for non-scientists as it presents the complex topic of quantum entanglement in an accessible and engaging manner. It does not require any prior knowledge of quantum physics and is suitable for audiences of all ages.

5. Where can I watch the "Scientific American Entanglement Movie"?

The movie is available for streaming on the official Scientific American website and can also be purchased on DVD or Blu-ray. It may also be available on other streaming platforms such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.