Scientists discover new marine species - so cool

In summary, Scientists have discovered new marine species in the hidden depths of the Atlantic Ocean, including an orange sea star which is about 4 inches long. The cause of an odd explosion of wormlike creatures on the ocean floor has been revealed to be a shift in food supply. However, there are concerns about raising these creatures from the depths without causing them to explode due to the mobile pressure environment. Overall, these discoveries shed light on the diverse and mysterious world of the deep sea.
Physics news on Phys.org
Great pix, I especially like the orange sea star.

But I wonder what the scale is. I can't tell if they're as small as my thumbnail, or as big as a bus.

lisab said:
Great pix, I especially like the orange sea star.

But I wonder what the scale is. I can't tell if they're as small as my thumbnail, or as big as a bus.
Excellent point. They should give sizes

This link states that they are about 4 inches long. I wonder what they eat??

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/deep-seafloor-surprisingly-alive-discoveries-reveal-0323/

EDIT There is a sub link that states:

An odd explosion of wormlike creatures on the ocean floor off the coast of Ireland in the late 1990s had scientists puzzled over the cause. Now research suggests it can be explained by a shift in the food trickling down to the seafloor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure one of those is just a translucent dildo

The trick may be in raising the creatures from the depths without causing them to explode.

I'd have expected one of these things to show up on my doorstep and say "We come from outerspace. Take me to your leader, Earthling".

anirudh215 said:
I'd have expected one of these things to show up on my doorstep and say "We come from outerspace. Take me to your leader, Earthling".

... I'd be careful what I said if I were you...

Loren Booda said:
The trick may be in raising the creatures from the depths without causing them to explode.
Same way we go down there without imploding.

leroyjenkens said:
Same way we go down there without imploding.

mobile pressure environment?

What is a marine species?

A marine species is any type of living organism that lives in the ocean. This can include fish, mammals, plants, and other organisms.

How do scientists discover new marine species?

Scientists typically discover new marine species through various methods such as conducting surveys, DNA analysis, and observing the behavior and physical characteristics of organisms in their natural habitats.

Why is it important for scientists to discover new marine species?

Discovering new marine species helps scientists gain a better understanding of the diversity and complexity of ocean ecosystems. This information can then be used to inform conservation efforts and protect these species from extinction.

What are some challenges scientists face when discovering new marine species?

One of the biggest challenges is the vastness and depth of the ocean, making it difficult to access and study certain areas. Additionally, identifying and classifying new species can be a time-consuming and complex process.

What can we learn from the discovery of new marine species?

The discovery of new marine species can provide valuable insights into the evolution, adaptation, and behavior of these organisms. It can also help us understand the impact of environmental changes on these species and their habitats.