Is the Church of Scientology's Website Battle a Sign of Broader Internet Wars?

• Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    web hosting
In summary, Anonymous has declared war on the Church of Scientology, and is attacking its website with a large DDoS assault.
Dawkins' Kool-Aide is an empty glass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poop-Loops said:
Dawkins' Kool-Aide is an empty glass.

Not at all. The reward is a feeling of intellectual superiority over others. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
Not at all. The reward is a feeling of intellectual superiority over others. :smile:

Reward for what?

Poop-Loops said:
Besides, nobody explained how to hack or anything, just reporting that it IS going on.
You guys are doing a lot more than "reporting". You are cheering on their illegal acts, and I find that just as reprehensible as the heavy-handed actions performed by the Scientologists. Two wrongs do not make a right. Laws exist for everyone, not just you and your like-minded friends.

If you truly believe in the First Amendment you must acknowledge the right to speak of those you find most repugnant. BTW, the First Amendment does not give someone the right to disrupt a speech made by someone else who the first person finds repugnant. Doing so is disrupting the peace, a crime. The First Amendment similarly does not give someone the right to launch a denial of service attack (the Internet equivalent of disrupting the peace) against someone.

Poop-Loops said:
So you don't judge Nazi's then? Or do you agree that they were/are bad people, based on what they did?
Of course I judge them. They represent the very worst that people can be. They are also one of my litmus tests to see if people truly believe in the First Amendment. I believe Nazis have the right to hold a parade down Main Street, and that police have the right to arrest people who intentionally disrupt the peace to interfere with the parade. IMHO, if you disagree, you don't believe in the First Amendment.

Math Is Hard said:

I would say people who are athiests have an open and rational way of thinking. In a way it is superiority, because that's a superior way of thinking! :approve:

Well, this is just getting stupid. Congrats, all.

- Warren