Scintillation photon energy conversion?

In summary, the scintillator material converts incoming high-energy photons into multiple low-energy photons through interactions with the particles in the crystal. These interactions also produce electron/positron pairs and bremsstrahlung, which can continue the process of producing more low-energy photons. Some of the energy is lost as heat in the crystal.
girts
Hello,
I read that in a scintillator before the photomultiplier tube is a crystal or sometimes gas or even sometimes a plastic, in other words a material which exerts luminosity under ionizing radiation. Say in the doped crystal for example, a high energy photon of say several Mev hits the crystal and the crystal then responds by emitting photons but in the lower frequency visible spectrum, here's what I don't understand, clearly photons have certain energy levels per photon, then where does the extra energy go if the resultant photons from the crystal are of lower frequency hence lower energy per photon?
I take from the famous photoelectric effect that light was firstly understood as not just a wave but also a discrete particle hence the resultant emitted electron was of corresponding energy to the incoming photon, but here in the crystal the outcoming photon is of lower frequency/energy than the incoming one or the one that struck the crystal in the first place, so my question is where is the missing energy?
My own guess maybe the incoming single high energy photon results in the scintillation of outgoing multiple lower energy photons , in other words the crystal works similar to a transformer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Photons don't directly produce photons. They produce electron/positron pairs (at high energy) or transfer their energy to electrons in the material (at lower energy). These electrons and positrons then transfer some of their energy to electrons in the material (a few eV per electron), and if they fall back they can emit some light.
A large fraction of the overall energy heats the crystal, but there is also some light emitted. A single MeV photon leads to many photons in the visible range.

Oh right, I did not thought that one through. Surely photons themselves don't exist in the crystal as do protons, neutrons and electrons so the incoming ones first have to interact with the particles making up the crystal and then through those particles secondary photons of lower wavelength (visible spectrum) are produced right?
So given a situation where the crystal receives both high energy and medium/low energy photons the high energy ones produce electron positron pairs and the lower energy photons excite the electrons in the material directly to a higher energy state and while falling back a photon or a couple are emitted?
in the electron positron pair production in the crystal they must annihilate quite fast and also produce a bunch of photons correct?

So in terms of reactions how would this look like because I suppose a high energy photon creates the electron/positron pair which then turns into the outgoing photons but since their energy is much lower some of the energy must have gone somewhere else , where does it go?
You said some of the energy heats the crystal, by what means this happens , or should I say by what interaction, directly from the incoming photons or by some secondary means due to the incoming photons?Oh another question, would it be fair to say that the crystal somewhat (not fully) transforms a few high energy photons into more lower energy ones, for example if there are 3 high energy incoming ones one would get out say 9 or more visible spectrum ones?
By this question I wonder are there any physical means or process in which the opposite happens, you have multiple lower frequency photons entering and fewer high frequency/energy photons exiting? Essentially a sort of a transformer we could say?

girts said:
Oh right, I did not thought that one through. Surely photons themselves don't exist in the crystal as do protons, neutrons and electrons so the incoming ones first have to interact with the particles making up the crystal and then through those particles secondary photons of lower wavelength (visible spectrum) are produced right?
So given a situation where the crystal receives both high energy and medium/low energy photons the high energy ones produce electron positron pairs and the lower energy photons excite the electrons in the material directly to a higher energy state and while falling back a photon or a couple are emitted?
Right.
girts said:
in the electron positron pair production in the crystal they must annihilate quite fast and also produce a bunch of photons correct?
Both particles fly their own way and ionize the material while they go through the material. They can also produce bremsstrahlung, and if this bremsstrahlung has enough energy it can produce more electron/positron pairs and so on - if the original photon has sufficient energy you get an electromagnetic shower.
Eventually all positrons are stopped and annihilate, sure.
girts said:
but since their energy is much lower some of the energy must have gone somewhere else , where does it go?
A single high-energetic original particle leads to many low-energetic particles in the scintillator.
Some energy goes to photons, some energy goes to heat. Where "heat" in crystals means lattice vibrations (phonons) and maybe a few excited electrons. Most of the time the intermediate step is an electron with just a few eV of energy.
girts said:
for example if there are 3 high energy incoming ones one would get out say 9 or more visible spectrum ones?
More. Per MeV of energy deposition, typical scintillator materials produce 100 (PbWO4) to 40,000 (NaI) photons.
girts said:
By this question I wonder are there any physical means or process in which the opposite happens, you have multiple lower frequency photons entering and fewer high frequency/energy photons exiting? Essentially a sort of a transformer we could say?
With laser light and nonlinear materials, yes. Photon upconversion. But that is off-topic here.

Related to Scintillation photon energy conversion?

1. What is scintillation photon energy conversion?

Scintillation photon energy conversion is the process by which a scintillator material converts incident radiation (such as X-rays or gamma rays) into visible light photons.

2. How does scintillation photon energy conversion work?

Scintillation photon energy conversion works by using a scintillator material, which is typically a crystalline or amorphous solid that contains atoms with high atomic numbers. When radiation interacts with these atoms, it causes them to emit light photons.

3. What are the applications of scintillation photon energy conversion?

Scintillation photon energy conversion has a wide range of applications in areas such as medical imaging, radiation detection, and high-energy physics. It is commonly used in devices such as X-ray detectors, PET scanners, and particle detectors.

4. What factors affect scintillation photon energy conversion efficiency?

The efficiency of scintillation photon energy conversion can be affected by factors such as the type and composition of the scintillator material, the energy and type of incident radiation, and the design of the detector.

5. How is scintillation photon energy conversion measured?

The efficiency of scintillation photon energy conversion can be measured using a variety of methods, including light yield measurements, energy resolution measurements, and pulse height analysis. These measurements can help determine the performance and suitability of a scintillator material for a specific application.