Scipy minimizer function and function executions

• Python
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of scipy's minimize function to minimize a given function, and the issue of the function being evaluated multiple times during the descent towards the minimum. The expert suggests avoiding feeding the function any extensive calculations and instead using a separate function to populate a vector. They also provide two ways to get the vector in the scope of the target function. One way is to use a global variable and the other is to use a wrapper function. The expert also provides code examples to illustrate these methods.
member 428835
Hi PF

I'm trying to minimize a function func via scypi's minimiz function, as shown below.

Python:
import numpy as np
import scipy.optimize as optimize
def func(x):
    y = x[0]**2 + (x[1]-5)**2
    print('hi')
    return y
bnds = [(1, None), (-0.5, 4)]
result = optimize.minimize(func, method='TNC', bounds=bnds, x0=2 * np.ones(2))
print(result.x)

The issue is for every descent toward the minimum the entire func is being evaluated, evidenced by 'hi' being printed several times. Is there a way to avoid this, so that y is evaluated and stored externally so that it does not get executed every descent?

Thanks so much!

Technology news on Phys.org
No, the minimize function (and optimization in general) works by evaluating the function at multiple points. How else could it possibly work?

Last edited:
Likes pasmith
In this example it's obvious by inspection that the minimum is at (0,5), but that's not how numerical methods work; you need to evaluate the function (and possibly its derivative, or a numerical approximation of it which requires at least one further function evaluation) at multiple points in order to home in on the minimum.

I would also recommend not feeding any of these iterative methods a function which does anything other than calculate values from its arguments. If you need to do extensive calculations which don't depend on the argument you are optimizing with respect to then you should do those somewhere else before you start the iteration. Extensive calculations which do depend on the argument you are optimizing with respect to must, sadly, be done at each step of the iteration.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
In this example it's obvious by inspection that the minimum is at (0,5), but that's not how numerical methods work; you need to evaluate the function (and possibly its derivative, or a numerical approximation of it which requires at least one further function evaluation) at multiple points in order to home in on the minimum.

I would also recommend not feeding any of these iterative methods a function which does anything other than calculate values from its arguments. If you need to do extensive calculations which don't depend on the argument you are optimizing with respect to then you should do those somewhere else before you start the iteration. Extensive calculations which do depend on the argument you are optimizing with respect to must, sadly, be done at each step of the iteration.
This is what I'm trying to do (calculate the output of the function and store it as a vector). See, there's data sheets that the function has to use, but it only needs to look at those data sheets once. I'm worried it's looking them up multiple times. How would you write it to ensure it's only looking up the data once?

joshmccraney said:
How would you write it to ensure it's only looking up the data once?
Have a separate function that populates the vector, and use optimization on the function that looks up a result from the vector.

anorlunda said:
use optimization on the function that looks up a result from the vector.
Note that there are at least 3 ways to get the vector in the scope of the target function:
  1. Use a global variable - ugly
  2. Pass the vector in a tuple as the args parameter to scipy.optimize.minimize, this will then be passed as a second parameter to every call of the objective function - this also works with other scipy methods that take a function such as scipy.integrate.solve_ivp
  3. Return the objective function from a wrapper function that calculates the vector - this is perhaps the most Pythonesqe way and doesn't depend on support from the method you are passing the function to.

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda
pbuk said:
Return the objective function from a wrapper function that calculates the vector - this is perhaps the most Pythonesqe way and doesn't depend on support from the method you are passing the function to.
Can you elaborate please? I'm intersted

joshmccraney said:
Can you elaborate please? I'm intersted
Something like this
Python:
import numpy as np
from scipy.optimize import minimize
from random import randrange

def getFunc():
    # Set parameters for optimization function.
    a = randrange(5)
    b = randrange(5)
    print ('Parameters', a, b, '\n')

# Create and return the function to optimize.
    def func(x):
        return x[0] ** 2 + (a * x[1] - b) ** 2
    return func

bounds = [(1, None), (-0.5, 4)]

func = getFunc()

result = minimize(func, method='TNC', bounds=bounds, x0=2 * np.ones(2))

print('Result\n', result)

Likes member 428835
Or you could do
Python:
class FuncWrapper:
    def __init__(self):
        # Presumably you'd actually pass in a filename and load these
        self.a = 1
        self.b = 2
    def func(self,x):

funcWrapper = FuncWrapper()

result = minimize(funcWrapper.func, method='TNC', bounds=bounds, x0=2 * np.ones(2))

Also, FuncWrapper is my next band name.

Likes member 428835
pbuk said:
Something like this
Python:
import numpy as np
from scipy.optimize import minimize
from random import randrange

def getFunc():
    # Set parameters for optimization function.
    a = randrange(5)
    b = randrange(5)
    print ('Parameters', a, b, '\n')

# Create and return the function to optimize.
    def func(x):
    return func

func = getFunc()

result = minimize(func, method='TNC', bounds=bounds, x0=2 * np.ones(2))

This is great! Can you explain the logic a little, as I think I'm missing something. It seems if I minimize getFunc() instead of func the parameters are being printed twice. I'm wondering why parameters a and b are not being printed multiple times as you've written it. Where's the magic happening?

Ibix said:
Or you could do
Python:
class FuncWrapper:
    def __init__(self):
        self.a = 1
        self.b = 2
    def func(self,x):

result = minimize(funcWrapper.func, method='TNC', bounds=bounds, x0=2 * np.ones(2))

This actually doesn't run as is. I'm getting an error saying name 'a' is not defined. But I can't figure out why.

Remember that in python class member variables must be referred to as self.whatever in method definitions and then note that I forgot to make a and b self.a and self.b in the func method. Been programming too much Java recently...

Likes member 428835
Ibix said:
Or you could do
Python:
class FuncWrapper:
    def __init__(self):
        self.a = 1
        self.b = 2
    def func(self,x):

So I have another question for you. Let's say there's a summation that needs to be performed with a, b, and x. Something like ##c = \sum_{i=0}^{100000} a*x_0##. Is there a way to define that calculation before the function func, so that I don't have to compute the sum but can instead have this stored as an element?

For reference, the optimization I'm looking at is here

Python:
def test_optimize_arry(data_num, M = 250, lmda = 0.97):
    # for data_num in range(0, 4):
    def L(F):
        # extension = 'csv'
        # path = '/Users/joshmccraney/Desktop/ewma/'
        # rsk_fact_ID = "DCN"

# 1) DEFINE sigma_0
        sig_0 = F[0]
        for i in range(1, 12):
            sig_0 += F[i]

# 2) DEFINE sigma^2
        data, time = Import_data(path, extension, rsk_fact_ID)

# DATA METRICS
        number_of_data = data.shape[1]
        number_of_days = time.shape[0]

# CHANGE np TIME int ARRAY TO LIST OF STRINGS
        time = time.astype(str).tolist()

# CALC INITIAL sigma^2, EQ 4 FROM IRM 2.0
        risk_factor_squared = np.square(data[:][0:M])
        initial_sigma_squared = risk_factor_squared.sum(axis=0)/M  # EQ 4

# CALC sigma^2
        sig = np.vstack( [np.zeros([M-1, number_of_data]), initial_sigma_squared, np.zeros([number_of_days - M, number_of_data])] ) # PREALLOCATE        for day in range(M, number_of_days):
            # THE CORRECT F TO RETRIEVE (time format: YYYYMMDD)
            i = int(time[day][4:6]) - 1
            # Seasonal sigma
            sig[day,:] = lmda * sig[day - 1,:] + (1 - lmda) * np.square(data[day,:])/F[i]*sig_0

# 3) DEFINE v
        # CALCULATE v
        v = np.vstack( [np.zeros([M-1, number_of_data]), initial_sigma_squared, np.zeros([number_of_days - M, number_of_data])] ) # PREALLOCATE
        for day in range(M, number_of_days):
            # THE CORRECT F TO RETRIEVE (time format: YYYYMMDD)
            i = int(time[day][4:6]) - 1

# Seasonal variance
            v[day, :] = sig[day, :]*F[i]/sig_0

# CLEAR THE FIRST M DAYS SINCE NO VAR AVAILABLE
        data_days = np.delete(data, range(M - 1), 0)
        v_days = np.delete(v, range(M - 1), 0)

# 4) define L
        L_mat = np.log( t.pdf(data_days/v_days, df = 3) )
        L_sum = L_mat.sum(axis=0)

# 5) calculate Reg
        # Penalty
        mu = F[12]
        Reg = (F[11] - 2*F[0] + F[1])**2 + (F[10] - 2*F[11] + F[0])**2
        for i in range(1, 11):
            Reg += (F[i-1] - 2*F[i] + F[i+1])**2
        Reg *= -mu/sig_0**2
        Reg += 12/2*np.log(mu)

print(F)

# 6) sum the results (see return statement pg 2)
        final_L = L_sum + Reg
        return final_L[data_num]

# minimizer = ScipyMinimizer(method="BFGS")
    # result = minimizer.minimize(residuals_func=L, bounds=None, x0=2*np.ones(13))
    bnds = [(None, None), (None, None), (None, None), (None, None), (None, None), (None, None), (None, None),
            (None, None), (None, None), (None, None), (None, None), (None, None), (0.5, None)]
    result = optimize.minimize(L, method='TNC', bounds=bnds, x0=2 * np.ones(13))
    print(result.F)

It would be great if I could store line 67 somewhere so that I can have the function immediately call this rather than performing the data retrieval and summations every time. Does that make sense?

It is not really optimization, but there is a fantastic python package that can automatically cache past results of any of your functions without modifying your source code other than adding a decorator.

https://towardsdatascience.com/10-fabulous-python-decorators-ab674a732871

I saw that package used on a demo program to calculate all factorials up to 1000. The speed up was amazing.

joshmccraney said:
It seems if I minimize getFunc() instead of func the parameters are being printed twice.
The result of getFunc() is not something that is meaningful to minimize.

joshmccraney said:
I'm wondering why parameters a and b are not being printed multiple times as you've written it. Where's the magic happening?
There is no magic, the code containing the print(a, b) instruction is only executed once as is the code that defines the function you want to minimize. The function you have defined is called by scipy.optimize.minimize as many times as it needs to.

joshmccraney said:
##c = \sum_{i=0}^{100000} a*x_0##
For this summation to make sense ## a*x_0 ## would have to depend on ## i ##, which it clearly does not.

joshmccraney said:
For reference, the optimization I'm looking at is here
The function you are trying to optimize is L(F). You can move outside that function anything that does not depend on F, such as
Python:
and this code will only be executed once, however anything that depends on F needs to stay inside the function, for instance your line 67
Python:
        final_L = L_sum + Reg
depends on F because of the line
Python:
(it also depends on F because L_sum depends on F).

Likes Ibix and member 428835
pbuk said:
For this summation to make sense ## a*x_0 ## would have to depend on ## i ##, which it clearly does not.The function you are trying to optimize is L(F). You can move outside that function anything that does not depend on F, such as
Python:
and this code will only be executed once, however anything that depends on F needs to stay inside the function, for instance your line 67
Python:
        final_L = L_sum + Reg
depends on F because of the line
Python:
(it also depends on F because L_sum depends on F).
Okay, I thought so. Thanks fore this; it's helpful!

What is the Scipy minimizer function?

The Scipy minimizer function is a function in the Scipy library that allows users to find the minimum value of a given function. It uses various optimization algorithms to find the minimum value, taking into account any constraints or bounds specified by the user.

How do I use the Scipy minimizer function?

To use the Scipy minimizer function, you first need to import the "minimize" function from the Scipy library. Then, you need to define the objective function you want to minimize and any constraints or bounds. Finally, call the "minimize" function with your parameters and it will return the minimum value and the corresponding input variables.

What are the available optimization algorithms in the Scipy minimizer function?

Some of the available optimization algorithms in the Scipy minimizer function include Nelder-Mead, Powell, conjugate gradient, BFGS, and Newton-CG. Each algorithm has its own advantages and may work better for certain types of functions or constraints.

Can I use the Scipy minimizer function for non-linear optimization?

Yes, the Scipy minimizer function is suitable for both linear and non-linear optimization problems. It can handle a wide range of functions and constraints, making it a versatile tool for scientific computing and data analysis.

How can I improve the performance of the Scipy minimizer function?

To improve the performance of the Scipy minimizer function, you can try different optimization algorithms or adjust the input parameters, such as the initial guess or convergence tolerance. It may also help to simplify the objective function or reduce the number of constraints if possible.