Scope for Quantum Information theory - Graduate school and beyond

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student in Europe who is researching graduate schools and essays on how to become a physicist. They are now searching for a PhD position and have a few questions about the scope and employability of Quantum Information Theory (QIT). They also mention their interest in computational work in QIT and ask for any useful links. The conversation then shifts to discussing research being done in quantum computing and cryptography, and the potential for employment in these fields. The conversation ends with the student expressing their interest in pursuing computational work and mentioning a few companies working in quantum cryptography.
Wolfgang2b
Hi,
I am a student in Europe. I have been reading through the posts on Graduate schools and the essays like the one by Zapper on how to become a physicist. I am now in the stage of searching for a PhD position.

1. I would like to know what you guys think about the scope of Quantum Information theory (QIT). As I read through the discussions, I could understand the caution against doing String theory etc. But is theoretical QIT also not an easily “employable” field? Or should I aim to be in experimental QIT?

2. Also I would like to know if someone knows of computational work being done in QIT. Admittedly one of the reasons for the field of quantum computing is due to the fact that QM cannot be “satisfactorily” simulated by classical computers. But I would still like to know if there is any work that is done in the field of QIT, where they simulate QM systems may be to build new experiments etc. Any links will be useful.

Thanks a lot in advance for your reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you about some research that I'm working in right now (I'm an undergraduate). We're working on interferometry using Bose-Einstein condensates, and modeling them after neutron interferometers using silicon wafers that use the splitting through the wafers of the neutron beams as a qubit. It's an attempt at creating stable qubits. Also using error correction from quantum computing and applying them to interferometry, though it works both ways it seems like. Anyway, we do a lot of numerical modeling of the Gross-Pitaevskii equation (it's the nonlinear Schroedinger equation) as well as some analytical approximations. There's lots of computational work done wherever you find nonlinear PDEs because they're impossible to solve by hand, so the area of BECs and quantum gases/superfluids/many-bodied systems in general will have lots of computational stuff.

Also, consider looking at this list:

http://www.vcpc.univie.ac.at/~ian/hotlist/qc/research.shtml

As for employment, my own reaction was that QC seems like a very new, interdisciplinary field that is still growing. It's hard to see how it couldn't be useful in the future. The only real problem now in building a quantum computer is scalability, and I don't think many people think that is actually a problem that couldn't ever be overcome (though it's certainly possible that it might not). Regardless, D-Wave (and another recent group as well, though I haven't read about this myself, only heard) has claimed they have made a device that at least acts, in some shape or form, like a quantum computer. There is also quantum cryptography, which is in use already with quantum key distribution and stuff like that.

If you stay computational, or you stay in some target skill areas (like crypto, for example) you shouldn't have trouble finding employment. There are lots of people interested in computer security/encryption and solving hard math problems with big computers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link hadsed. I will look for any leads in there.

Yes, my idea was that if I stayed in computational work, may be I will be able to move to other areas (such as semiconductor industries) even if there weren't much opportunity in QIT. Thanks again

I don't know if you are also interested in quantum cryptography. In case you are, here are two articles (http://www.technologyreview.com/printer_friendly_article.aspx?id=14554 and article2) that mention the following companies:

1. ID Quantique
2. http://www.magiqtech.com/MagiQ/Home.html
3. http://www.nec-labs.com/research/quantum/quantum-website/index.php
(NEC has once offered http://scienceblogs.com/pontiff/2009/03/nec_quantum_internships.php)
4. Toshiba

I am excited to see your interest in Quantum Information theory (QIT) and your search for a PhD position in this field. QIT is a rapidly growing and promising field that combines principles of quantum mechanics, information theory, and computer science. It has the potential to revolutionize fields such as communication, computation, and cryptography.

To answer your first question, I believe that both theoretical and experimental QIT have great potential for employment opportunities. Theoretical QIT involves developing new models and algorithms to understand and manipulate quantum information, while experimental QIT involves designing and conducting experiments to test and implement these theories. Both theoretical and experimental QIT are crucial for advancing the field, and many companies and research institutions are actively looking for experts in these areas. So, my advice would be to follow your interests and strengths and pursue either theoretical or experimental QIT, as both have promising career prospects.

To address your second question, there is a significant amount of computational work being done in QIT. As you mentioned, quantum computing is a major area of research in QIT, and many researchers are working towards building quantum computers that can perform calculations and simulations beyond the capabilities of classical computers. Additionally, there are also researchers using computational methods to simulate and analyze quantum systems, as well as to design and optimize experiments in QIT. I suggest exploring different research groups and institutions working in QIT to find specific projects and topics that interest you.

I hope this helps in your search for a PhD position in QIT. It is a fascinating and rapidly advancing field, and I am sure you will find many exciting opportunities to contribute to its growth and development. Best of luck!

1. What is the scope of quantum information theory?

The scope of quantum information theory is to study how information can be stored, manipulated, and transmitted using quantum systems. This includes understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, developing new computational algorithms and protocols, and exploring potential applications in areas such as cryptography, communication, and quantum computing.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a graduate degree in quantum information theory?

Graduates with a degree in quantum information theory have a range of career opportunities in both academia and industry. They can work as researchers, professors, or consultants in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. They may also find opportunities in industries such as finance, healthcare, and defense, where quantum technologies are being developed and implemented.

3. What are the necessary skills for pursuing a graduate degree in quantum information theory?

Some of the necessary skills for pursuing a graduate degree in quantum information theory include a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as programming skills in languages such as Python, Matlab, and C++. It is also helpful to have knowledge of quantum mechanics, linear algebra, and probability theory.

4. Are there any specific research areas within quantum information theory that are currently popular?

Some popular research areas within quantum information theory include quantum algorithms, quantum error correction, quantum cryptography, and quantum machine learning. Other emerging areas of interest include quantum communication networks, quantum simulations, and quantum sensing.

5. What is the future outlook for quantum information theory?

The future outlook for quantum information theory is very promising, as the field is rapidly expanding and advancing. With the development of quantum computers and other quantum technologies, there will be an increasing demand for experts in quantum information theory. This field also has the potential to revolutionize various industries and solve some of the most complex problems in science and technology.