How Do You Create a Script Lowercase 'r' in LaTeX?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter marsdk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses different solutions for making a lowercase 'r' in LaTeX resemble the one used in Griffiths Electrodynamics. Two solutions are mentioned, one using the calligra font and another using the mtpro2 fonts, but both have limitations. The possibility of using \mathfrak and \mathcal fonts is also mentioned.
marsdk
Hey all,

I know this has been discussed before, but seeing that I can't find a post anywhere with a good solution, maybe another discussion won't hurt.

How do you make a script lowercase 'r' in Latex, resembling what you see in eg. Griffiths Electrodynamics?

So far I have found two solutions:

1) With the calligra font, implemented by first declaring the font and then making a command that makes the 'r':

Code:
% Declares the font
\usepackage{calligra}
\DeclareMathAlphabet{\mathcalligra}{T1}{calligra}{m}{n}
\DeclareFontShape{T1}{calligra}{m}{n}{<->s*[2.2]callig15}{}

% Makes '\sr' make a script r
\newcommand{\sr}{\ensuremath{\mathcalligra{r}}}

HOWEVER, this method has the problem, that \textbf{} and \mathbf{} does not affect the script r, making it hard to use it to denote both a vector and its length. I have not yet found a way around this.

2) The mtpro2 fonts include both a normal and a bold script r, the packages they are in cost 130 $, a lot of money for one letter. Described here: http://www.pctex.com/mtpro2.html"

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\LaTeX## has fonts like \mathfrak and \mathcal. Have you tried using them?

1. What is the syntax for creating a lowercase r in LaTeX?

The syntax for creating a lowercase r in LaTeX is \r.

2. How can I change the font style of the lowercase r in my LaTeX document?

To change the font style of the lowercase r, you can use the \textit{} command for italics, \textbf{} for bold, or \texttt{} for typewriter font.

3. Is it possible to add a bar or dot above the lowercase r in LaTeX?

Yes, you can add a bar or dot above the lowercase r by using the \bar{r} or \dot{r} commands, respectively.

4. How can I create a lowercase r with a cedilla in LaTeX?

To create a lowercase r with a cedilla, you can use the \c{r} command.

5. Can I change the size of the lowercase r in my LaTeX document?

Yes, you can change the size of the lowercase r by using the \tiny{}, \small{}, \large{}, or \Huge{} commands for different font sizes.